Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Interested in 3rd row seat ventilation?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Credit to tomp and others for their ingenuity.
Zarwin deserves the credit for my approach. I basically took his idea and ran with it.
I do have some updates.
Additional parts:
- Plastic housing box for controller: link
- Quick-disconnect harness (x2): link
- Heavier duty cable (didn't like the quality of the last one): link

Mounting controller in housing box: I drilled out two holes in the plastic housing box, one for the control dial and one for the wires. If I were to do it again, I'd get a slightly larger housing box. This one is a pretty tight fit. I had to cut off the switch, which I wanted to do anyway since ther's no need for it as the fan doesn't work well when run in reverse. I then soldered the switch to be permanently 'on'. The dial can turn the fan all the way off. I also had to drill out a hole in the PCB to accommodate the shape of the housing box. As you can see, it's not a great mounting job, but it gets the job done.

The cable is run from the center console, under 2nd row floor mat, around the far edge of the 2nd row seat, and to the back row. I used the quick disconnects right by the center console and again by the pump. So I can leave the cable in place but remove the controller and/or pump if I need to.

It will be tested for real this weekend - road trip with 6 people in the car!

Pictures:
Controller mounted with velcro by the center console:
download (3).png
download (2).jpg

Controller mounted in the housing box. You can compare to the pictures above or on amazon to see how I cut the switch off
download (1).png
download.png

I've been noodling over ventilation for the rear-facing seats for some time now, with a main objective of designing something that looks and feels clean and integrated (e.g., OEM-like).

I've finally taken a bit of time to sketch out a removable jumpseat-ventilation system design (see pics) that I feel should be fairly easily do-able for someone with the right equipment and time (anyone here got experience with vacuum-molding thermoplastic and/or with access to a 3D printer?). I'm afraid that someone won't be me - I simply don't have time to do a project like this - but I'd love to jump in and help out anyone willing to take this on as a project.

What do you all think? Does the design work, and are there by chance any takers with the technical means and time to build something like this?
Ventilation_Concept_Overview.jpg

Ventilation_Concept_Details.jpg

Ventilation_Concept_Large.jpg

Update on the actual solution I did: Model S Rear Facing Seat Cooling

FOUND IT !! This is what I wrote about in a different thread. I was concerned that you might not see it, so I posted here too. Hey Supratachophobia, did I do good? I was looking through old urls that I had saved of interesting devices and found the AirTainment Console. Cool, huh? Did I score points?
Tesla AirTainment Console for Rear Facing Child Seats - Ventilation, Tablet Mount, and Dual USB Ports ****Patent Pending****

FOUND IT !! This is what I wrote about in a different thread. I was concerned that you might not see it, so I posted here too. Hey Supratachophobia, did I do good? I was looking through old urls that I had saved of interesting devices and found the AirTainment Console. Cool, huh? Did I score points?
Tesla AirTainment Console for Rear Facing Child Seats - Ventilation, Tablet Mount, and Dual USB Ports ****Patent Pending****
Whoa, cool. I definitely didn't see that.