TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Interested in a MS, but I live 115 miles away from service center. Should I be concerned?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Darren Donovan, Aug 23, 2016.

1. Darren Donovan

It's not uncommon for any Tesla vehicles to have issues that will require a trip to the SC. Many of the owners on this forum don't seem to mind dropping off their car and leave with a loaner. I assume that they live not too far from a SC. For me it's an easy 1.5 hour one way drive. I'm on the fence about this. If you were in my position, would you pull the trigger?

2. Rockster

Rockster Active Member

I would. I live in a northern Dallas suburb. Depending upon traffic, the drive to my local Dallas service center can be 45 minutes. I need to deal with them so rarely that I wouldn't let an additional 45 minutes prevent me from owning this awesome car.

3. Roamer

Roamer Member

You will enjoy the drive for service. Or they will come to you.

4. kort677

kort677 Active Member

it's not the best situation, if the problem is serious they will come for you, forr minor issues you'll need to go to them.

5. Buddy

Buddy Member

Closest one to me is 1 hour (without traffic). My plan is to only be able to take my car to the service center on my days off work.

6. CarpetMan

CarpetMan Member

I live over 500 miles from the nearest service center. Also I don't live within range of a super charger (although Tesla's site says they are building some near me this year).
    This doesn't bother me, as I'm hoping to have relatively few issues with my car. And if I do have an issue, I've heard great things about Tesla's ranger service which will come to you to make repairs.

7. demundus

demundus Member

You'll do what a lot of owners already do, which is save up all your issues over X period of time and take it in to have them do all the work at once. Most efficient way for the time being, with how Tesla is set up.

8. Az_Rael

Az_Rael Active Member

Just be aware that while the ranger service is great, it does come at a price. Your fee may be quite high being as far away as you are.

image.jpeg

9. Magus

Magus Member

Go for it. No problems in mine and quality improved. it's really weird in a good way to be going to the service center so infrequently. Not many cars such as the S where it's cool to do this. The X on the other hand- you hear about the QI issues but only Tesla knows the actual percentages. In an S, I would have no issue being a significant distance from the SC.

10. beeeerock

beeeerock Active Member

Best case, my nearest service center is three and a half hours away in optimum conditions, over the

and I've never been worried... so far at least!

• Like x 1
  11. BigAirHarper

BigAirHarper Member

I'm 5 hours away or more from nearest service center. Didn't stop me. Couldn't be happier!

12. Cnasty

Cnasty Member

Frisco here and I just picked up yesterday and completely agree with you!

13. Zybd1201

Zybd1201 Member

I have owned my car 3 weeks and been to the service center that many times. It is only 20 minutes away from me and it takes at least an hour out of my day every time. It is incredibly possible your car will have problems and possibly very early on. Mine did.

Just keep that in mind. Don't want a rosy picture painted for you. Everyone tells me my experience is unusual but I'm not so sure with how full I see my local service center every time I go in.

14. Odebek

Odebek Don't Panic

I live 1:15 away from my service center, taking delivery tomorrow. Had the same concerns... but everyone I spoke to with the model S said there really should not be much maintenance, once or twice a year at most. I am also taking a checklist with me to the delivery to make sure we catch everything on the first go.

15. John Stuckey

John Stuckey Member

For us it was a tough decision. 1.3 hours to Columbus service center and Schmidt's Sausage Haus or 1.0 hours to Cincinnati service center and Maggiano's Italian. We decided to alternate, saves gas.

• Funny x 1
  16. eye.surgeon

eye.surgeon Member

I see you're in central CA. I'm in Fresno/Clovis. I had the same concern when I bought mine almost 2 years ago. Total visits to a service center for me: Zero. Also, Tesla has a local service guy here in Fresno that services the central valley...he will come to your house, and if service requires a service center, he will take it to Monterey and leave you a loaner. Zero charge.

Go for it.

• Informative x 1
  17. Darren Donovan

The maintenance should be, and most likely, is like that. It's the various other items that need fixing, that shouldn't have passed QC, that worry me.

18. Darren Donovan

Wow! That's awesome! Is your local Tesla guy working out of Fresno? I don't see a service center in Fresno listed on Tesla's website. I'm in Bakersfield, closest SC is in Van Nuys.

19. Odebek

Odebek Don't Panic

I picked mine up today. Only thing that I was able to find in 1.5 hours was that the drivers side door trim height was a few millimeters off.

20. Ciaopec

Ciaopec Member

Check out the posts of the New Zealanders importing cars from Australia ! No warranty, no service, a growing number of chargers. That will make your 115 mile trip seem like child's play!

Owning a Tesla in NZ

I, too, live about 115 miles from the Columbus Service Center. Hasn't taken a moments pleasure away from the 10000 miles I have racked up in the first two months of ownership. Go for it; you will never regret it.