TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Interested in cabin overheat energy consumption

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by insaneoctane, Jul 15, 2018.

1. insaneoctane

insaneoctane Active Member

I see there is an option for cabin overheat protection with either AC or without. My choice would be totally affected by the energy usage. For example if the car was in the sun on a 100 degree F day, what would the resulting temperature be inside between the two settings and how much energy would it cost for each?

2. ucmndd

ucmndd Member

Energy consumption can be significant based on a number of variables. To give an extreme example, I've observed about an 8-10% loss in state of charge over the course of a 9 hour workday on my 75kwh model S with cabin overheat protection on and the car parked in the sun here in the Central Valley in temps above 100F.

I'm not familiar with the option to use the AC compressor or not, that's either new or a Model 3 thing - so the above numbers are using the AC compressor.

3. RayW

RayW Member

For a “worst-case” scenario, during the recent heat wave near Riverside my MS lost 20-miles of range while the car sat 8:00am – 5:00pm in the 120F+ heat, in the middle of an asphalt parking lot with no shade. That loss also includes the A/C running about 40mins during the morning and afternoon commutes. It’s actually well worth it as you’ll never burn your butt on a hot seat.

4. SageBrush

SageBrush 2018: Drain the Sewer

Why waste all that energy when a towel or a sunshade works as well or better, and is free ?

• Like x 1
  5. FlatSix911

FlatSix911 918 Hybrid

Another option to consider ... leave the windows cracked open and turn on the fan remotely :cool:

6. SageBrush

YMWV.

• Point your car towards the sun
    • Put up a sun-shade
    • Crack the windows open if reasonable
    • Run the Vent for 10 minutes before you drive off if the windows were closed.

• Like x 2
  7. Aellinsar

Aellinsar Member

I left my dog in the car for ~2 hours in the sun. Outside temps in the upper 80's. I left the A/C on set at 80° and only lost ~10 miles of range.

8. ebmcs03

ebmcs03 Active Member

My over heat protection isn’t work. I tripled check to make sure it’s on. But temperature still rises above 120 degrees.

9. e-FTW

e-FTW New electron smell

And no one smashed your window to “save” the dog?
    I assume you have a sign of some sort informing folks that said dog is perfectly fine and cool.

10. smatthew

smatthew Member

The trick is to keep the car cool enough that the condensation on the windows prevents people from seeing your dog.

• Funny x 3
  11. Aellinsar

Aellinsar Member

We were at a national park and there was a ranger in the lot helping people to park. We let the ranger know about the dog int eh car to avoid the problem For other circumstances, a sign would be a good idea.

• Like x 1
  12. insaneoctane

insaneoctane Active Member

I am wondering if on super hot days that the non AC option would run non-stop and still be very hot? That would seem like a waste

13. SageBrush

It would keep the car interior close to ambient.

14. kWh

kWh Member

Cool feature- seems to cost about 20 miles per workday in Dallas. I have enjoyed the cooler car during this hot summer in Texas. It may offer some real results in the sense of preserving car interiors and electronics. Is there any big downside in running the AC (at a low setting) for a long time on hot days?

15. ucmndd

ucmndd Member

The downside, IMO, is that an AC compressor replacement through Tesla is about three thousand bucks and there are only so many rotations of that compressor before it fails.

That combined with venting 5-10 kWh into the atmosphere every day to keep an unoccupied car cool seems like a terrible waste to me. Maybe worth the expense if you’ve got little ones and think you might be prone to leaving them in cars, but otherwise a pretty fantastic waste of energy when parking in the shade is free, a windshield sun shade is ten bucks, and we all have an app to turn on the AC 10 minutes before we need to leave.

• Like x 2
    • Informative x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • Love x 1
  16. SageBrush

Absolutely.

Even better, just use the sunshades facing the sun and vent the car for 5-10 minutes before use. Risque people leave windows cracked open on all four sides.

17. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

Yes, Tesla owners are known for flouting convention and shocking ICE owners by leaving their windows open...

• Funny x 1
  18. aesculus

aesculus Still Trying to Figure This All Out

Is this some sort of Model 3 exhibitionist thing?:)

• Funny x 1