Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Interested in installing rear seat bumper reinforcement only - Question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm not interested in the seats, but wouldn't mind the added safety of the rear bumper reinforcement. They're 200 bucks all day long on ebay so it seems like a very small price to pay for added safety.

My question is - I have a late production 2017 Model S. Is installing this as simple as ordering the part, removing the bumper cover and bolting it up? The 2017 absolutely did not come with this preinstalled without having ordered the seats, right?

Yes, it is that easy. I added it and the RFS in my Model S. You remove the rear bumper and the bumper support. The additional support is fitted underneath the existing one. If I recall correctly the bolts are even on the car.

The only way to tell for sure if you have it is to check, but from what I understand only very early Model S had the support added as standard. It’s incredibly unlikely it was installed on your 2017.

Yes, it is that easy. I added it and the RFS in my Model S. You remove the rear bumper and the bumper support. The additional support is fitted underneath the existing one. If I recall correctly the bolts are even on the car.

The only way to tell for sure if you have it is to check, but from what I understand only very early Model S had the support added as standard. It’s incredibly unlikely it was installed on your 2017.

second all of this.

Does eliminating the crumple zone really make it safer?
I believe there is evidence of more injuries in vehicles with very rigid hitches. Things like whiplash. Will look for a link.

the Tesla crossmember is not rigid. It adds additional crumpling/energy absorbing to the rear. Very different than a solid hitch structural support