Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Interested in my Roadster?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Price drop. See below.

Okay, I'll admit I feel a little weird posting this. I have an orange 2008 MY, one of the last delivered in October 2009. I love it. But we are looking at moving and our new place will not have charging facilities for the Roadster. My family size has also increased by 50%, putting it exactly 50% over the carrying capacity of this vehicle. That now means that I can only drive it on personal trips. :)

I'm curious if anyone on these forums is casually shopping for a low-mileage, low-price Roadster. Mine has about 6,000 miles, it comes with some extras, and it has a brand new battery as of about 4 months ago. The old battery developed some kind of internal fault, so Tesla just decided to swap in a totally new one. Sweet, huh? Anyway, I'm looking for a buyer.

Here are some details:

* Very Orange
* 6,000 miles-ish
* New battery
* The new multi/portable charger
* Upgraded stereo and speakers with bluetooth/iPhone/hands-free
* A nice set of snow tires with at least two seasons left on them
* Extra set of the door sills for if/when you scratch up the first ones
* Hand-replaced much better control knobs on the console :)
* 2 years of warranty remaining
* Some light paint scratching on the undersill area. Fortunately, you have to bend over and know to look for it. Normal surfaces are in exceptional shape.

I don't think the car had any other options when purchased. I am looking for about $68,000. I will split the cost of shipping to anywhere in the USA... so expect $500 to $800. A full detail would be applied prior to shipping (or upon arrival, your choice).

I will gladly offer a personal drive and tour of the vehicle if you live near or care to visit the Boulder area. I live on a very curvy, intense road that makes for a good test track. Even if you live out of the area, I would suggest a quick flight to Denver to check it out prior to purchase.

Perhaps most importantly of all, I will be a down-to-earth seller and not jerk you around.

Please reach out if you are interested. Thanks for looking,

Ben

Last edited:
...I have an orange 2008 MY, one of the last delivered in October 2009...

Why was it delivered so late? My 2010 2.0 Sport was delivered early September 2009 and it was just over 100 VINs into the 2010s and was reportedly delayed more than a month waiting on clear coat CF interior and/or exterior pieces (they actually gave me the choice of deleting the package(s) and getting my car the several weeks earlier).

Sad Ben-neB, I hope an "S" is in your new family's future.

What's the story on those knobs? Did they go plastic at some point and you replaced them. or...?

They came plastic and were underengineered for the friction of the shaft. I replaced them with a set of metal knobs that are much more pleasant. I learned later that Tesla reengineered the plastic ones by filling them with a hard resin.

Why was it delivered so late? My 2010 2.0 Sport was delivered early September 2009 and it was just over 100 VINs into the 2010s and was reportedly delayed more than a month waiting on clear coat CF interior and/or exterior pieces (they actually gave me the choice of deleting the package(s) and getting my car the several weeks earlier).

It was one of the last Roadster 1.5's to be sold. I believe it was on a showroom floor in L.A. for several months.

Credit Union? Are they even going to know what they are getting themselves into? I doubt a CU will want to have an EV as collateral. We all know this is a good price for this car, but they don't have the historical data to back this up. You may want to pursue multiple financing options if you are looking to finance. Just incase one of them is not will to take the risk.

Credit Union? Are they even going to know what they are getting themselves into? I doubt a CU will want to have an EV as collateral.

I just bought my new Roadster with a loan from TechCU. They are promoting electric vehicles and Tesla's in particular. I ended up with a 2.95% interest rate for 4 years.

Used may be harder than new, but CU's, at least in CA, seem to know what's what.

Its not really the credit union loaning you the money but what insurance company will cover you?
Search for insurance here on TMC. Several threads cover this topic. I comes down to all of them or none of them. A provider may insure a car in CA in 2009 but not for a car in NJ in 2010 and then OK coverage again in 2011. There seems to be no rhyme or reason. Just ask you current agent today.

edit to add:
The good news is rates seem OK. Stil.

I am not saying it is impossible, but he is in VA as his profile states. Not exactly the most EV educated of states. Neither is Ohio BTW so I am by no means criticizing the state of VA. He just may want to pursue multiple options until one proves to be successful. If you are placing enough money down, any lender would be an absolute fool to not lend you the money....bet we are talking over 50%...

Insurance has never been an issue for us...

Thanks for all the feedback. Geico wont cover. I have not called any other insurance providers yet.

I just went through my annual exercise of shopping around all of my insurance. About half of the national and super-regional carriers I interacted with could provide automatically-rated coverage for the Roadster. Of the other 5, 2 or 3 would have been willing to submit for manual underwriting, which was way too much hassle for me to bother with.

Results should vary only slightly by state for this type of underwriting, so I think it is safe to say that about 2/3 of the sizable US carriers will write on this vehicle, modulo any personal issues (driving record, credit, and so on) that could trigger a denial of coverage.

Thanks for all the feedback. Geico wont cover. I have not called any other insurance providers yet.

That is really strange as Geico is covering my Roadster. My main carrier Grange would not cover the roadster and I was going to have to get a separate policy for $1200/year. Geico said they would do it for $600 and they were easy to talk with on the phone and easy to set up. I have my cards saying GEICO is coverting my 2008 Roadster.

Credit Union? Are they even going to know what they are getting themselves into? I doubt a CU will want to have an EV as collateral. We all know this is a good price for this car, but they don't have the historical data to back this up. You may want to pursue multiple financing options if you are looking to finance. Just incase one of them is not will to take the risk.

My credit union was fully on board and gave me 2.59% for 3 years. I figure that is hard to beat.

For those keeping track, this one has found a new home in Omaha. Thanks to Ben for being about as straightforward a person to deal with as possible. I wish all my business dealings went this way.

Have put nearly 1000 miles on in the two weeks since receipt of the car, every one of them a blast (except for the first two blocks I drove with the parking brake on - silly n00b). Looks good parked next to the rows and rows of pickups and SUVs that are pretty much standard issue around here, and the 80 mile roundtrip, all-interstae, gas-free commute is now bearable.

Now, where do I sign for that Model S? ;)