Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Interested in Selling Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know that, I'm stating that if I waited for a pre-order the tax credit would already be used up, so I'm not dependent on having it
If your presumption that the tax credit will not be available to people who pre-order now is correct and the seller is just willing to swap places in line with you, they will ask for considerably more than $10,000 since they lose the credit and pay an extra set of taxes.

Reactions: Kacey Green
If your presumption that the tax credit will not be available to people who pre-order now is correct and the seller is just willing to swap places in line with you, they will ask for considerably more than $10,000 since they lose the credit and pay an extra set of taxes.
I have 3 people messaging me currently and they all feel around $3K premium for the car is good. Also, why would losing the tax credit matter to them if they are going to turn around and sell it? Putting that into an equation for a seller doesn't matter.

• Informative
Reactions: Kacey Green and GSP
I have 3 people messaging me currently and they all feel around $3K premium for the car is good. Also, why would losing the tax credit matter to them if they are going to turn around and sell it? Putting that into an equation for a seller doesn't matter.
Any seller with half a brain knows that any buyer before mid 2018 is willing to pay a premium possibly even higher than 3K. Buying the car just to flip it and then trying to get the tax credit would amount to tax fraud so the seller is out the credit, plus taxes.

1. Without permission you can't transfer preorders.
2. Any seller between now and likely the end of 2018 who sells the car immediately after purchase should be careful trying to take any tax credit, if audited, they could be found guilty of tax evasion.
3. What is in it for a seller to lose both the tax credit and taxes they'd have to pay on the car?

Therefore, for it to be an incentive for the seller it'd have to be $7500 + $3000 + taxes and that's only for a $3K profit of what they'd otherwise have and they'd be out the car and bragging rights of course.

If Tesla has a slow ramp up or starts some Canadian deliveries the US 200,000th delivery might not happen until Q1 2018 meaning full credit until the end of June 2018, partial credits through the end of 2018 and into 2019.

If you had a brand new preorder (even now) you still might be able to get a partial credit (even only $1875) and you wouldn't have to pay a premium.

Reactions: gene and gavine
I have 3 people messaging me currently and they all feel around $3K premium for the car is good.

Tell 3 people they're wrong. You, getting a Model 3 in the next 4-8 months, has exactly zero chance of happening for a $3K premium. Why, exactly, would an early reservation holder bother with the hassle of flipping one of the most anticipated cars of the decade, for a measly $3K. $3K = chump change.

Reactions: JeffK
It's difficult to flip this car in California, with 9% sales tax that non-transferrable, I will be down $4,000 to start with. I live in California , will own a Model S in June and I placed my reservation for Model 3 on April 1. am not sure what to do with my reservation yet since I don't need another car.

• Funny
Reactions: Hrhkee
Any seller with half a brain knows that any buyer before mid 2018 is willing to pay a premium possibly even higher than 3K. Buying the car just to flip it and then trying to get the tax credit would amount to tax fraud so the seller is out the credit, plus taxes.

1. Without permission you can't transfer preorders.
2. Any seller between now and likely the end of 2018 who sells the car immediately after purchase should be careful trying to take any tax credit, if audited, they could be found guilty of tax evasion.
3. What is in it for a seller to lose both the tax credit and taxes they'd have to pay on the car?

Therefore, for it to be an incentive for the seller it'd have to be $7500 + $3000 + taxes and that's only for a $3K profit of what they'd otherwise have and they'd be out the car and bragging rights of course.

If Tesla has a slow ramp up or starts some Canadian deliveries the US 200,000th delivery might not happen until Q1 2018 meaning full credit until the end of June 2018, partial credits through the end of 2018 and into 2019.

If you had a brand new preorder (even now) you still might be able to get a partial credit (even only $1875) and you wouldn't have to pay a premium.
Again, I understand the situation about the tax credit and no one will be trying to claim it. Bringing up the point about transferring pre-orders isn't valid in this scenario as this is a resale. I would obviously cover the taxes and then pay a premium. You do not need to calculate the tax credit in there as that is given when you get your Tax Return and I would pay for the amount the seller paid upfront.

If the ramp up time does get hampered to a significant degree, there very well might be a chance to get the tax credit then, but I'm not able to wait that long as I need to replace my car sooner than that

Because if they reserved the car in the first place they probably want to own one. So they would have to go to the back of the line where they wouldn't get the tax credit for the next one they buy. Now if it's one of the 'I can't deal with having only a center screen' people and they have no intention of owning a Model 3, then that wouldn't apply.

Tell 3 people they're wrong. You, getting a Model 3 in the next 4-8 months, has exactly zero chance of happening for a $3K premium. Why, exactly, would an early reservation holder bother with the hassle of flipping one of the most anticipated cars of the decade, for a measly $3K. $3K = chump change.
Some intended on flipping at first, some have ordered an S or an X and don't need it, others may not be in the financial means keep the car but are looking for a way to flip it. Also, $3K isn't necessarily chump change, especially for some people who are relying on the Tax Credit in order to afford the car but are now not able to regardless of it.

Reactions: wilhelmspencer
Because if they reserved the car in the first place they probably want to own one. So they would have to go to the back of the line where they wouldn't get the tax credit for the next one they buy. Now if it's one of the 'I can't deal with having only a center screen' people and they have no intention of owning a Model 3, then that wouldn't apply.
Agreed, most people pre-ordering are wanting to own the Model 3, but there are others that aren't. Check my comment down below

If you are offering $45k for the base model and the original owner keeps the tax credit, I think you will have interest. I have to say, you are a rare bird if you are as you represent yourself. My experience with buyers who want some item without delay do not buy the base model.

Last edited:
Agreed. With the delay of the P+D models, the possibiity of the quick flip has a much lower likelihood of happening.

1. $7500 credit cannot be taken if resold. It's quite clearly stated
2. CA is priority so ~8.5% sales tax on ave $45k car: ~4000$
3 $3000 Premium stated

So $45,000 car +7= 53$ Model 3. that's no P+D but has the rest of stuff on it. vs CPO Model S.

Reactions: Lysol and JeffK
Agreed. With the delay of the P+D models, the possibiity of the quick flip has a much lower likelihood of happening.

3 $3000 Premium stated

So $45,000 car +7= 53$ Model 3. that's no P+D but has the rest of stuff on it. vs CPO Model S.
I'll sell mine for $52,999

Shhh, don't tell my wife I sold her car, she'll kill me.

While living in Palo Alto during the 2000 tech boom, I sold my 3rd spot in line for a 911, for $25k. Only car I ever made money on, and I actually never owned it. $5K deposit for <3 months yielding 500+%. Stupid money.

Keep the cash in your pocket @JamesL6 , something better will be along soon after production cranks up.
It's Tesla, and you'll want it.

• Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911
I wouldn't calculate the $7K into the car. The seller would already buy the car for $35K upfront, I would cover that, taxes, and then premium.

3 $3000 Premium stated

in

While living in Palo Alto during the 2000 tech boom, I sold my 3rd spot in line for a 911, for $25k. Only car I ever made money on, and I actually never owned it. $5K deposit for <3 months yielding 500+%. Stupid money.

Keep the cash in your pocket @JamesL6 , something better will be along soon after production cranks up.
It's Tesla, and you'll want it.
Wow, that's insane! Thanks for the insight :)

I wouldn't calculate the $7K into the car. The seller would already buy the car for $35K upfront, I would cover that, taxes, and then premium.
And CA registration fees and shipping......since early buyers will be in CA.

I have no need and guessing that I could leap the line with a new order, how does Nov strike you, would you like to cut a deal? :D You might beat my previous yield.