Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Interesting analysis by Benzinga

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Read the article and I agree with the above, maybe we in Northern California are living in a vacuum. Having said that would you buy this car if it had a 600 hp ice. Everybody seems to forget that as Automobile Magazine just said in this months issue, and I quote " The Tesla Model S is one of the finest automobiles any of us at Automobile Magazine has ever driven!!!! They did not say or mention that it was the finest 100 % electric automobile. IMHO, there are others outside of California that think the samething.

Yea, the car's appeal isn't from a green angle really. It'll have that appeal, but you don't pull in BMW and Jag buyers based on green cred. I've seen numerous articles talking about how Tesla is so dependent on high gas prices. No, the car kicks ass and it's level of ass kicking has no relation to gas prices. Gas prices do help with TCO, but as with the "green" angle, TCO is only a part of the overall equation.

I think the guy is totally out of touch.
BMW, Mercedes, Audi are boring and old. Tesla is new and exciting.
Tesla is the "highest technology car in the world" according to Forbes.
Tesla is made in the USA by the billionaire who sends rockets to the space station.
Park one of those german sedans next to a Tesla and they will get ignored while everyone ogles the Tesla.

What a ridiculous comment, buying a Tesla would mean you have one of the most rare luxury automobiles that gives you power, reliability and good "fuel" consumption, no other vehicle out there does that,
The Tesla immediately puts you into an elite status.

when i get a P85 this year in the summer ill probably be the in a category of less than 5-10 but i can guarantee you there are at least 50-100 M5's and E63 AMGs in Calgary they are nothing special since you see one every 3rd or 4th car downtown.

im also no millionaire, i only make $60ish a year, it is not a rich mans toy, almost anyone can buy one if they really work hard and put all their effort into it.

Last edited:
While the Tesla "true cost of ownership" marketing claim is rather bogus -- where's the $365/year for vampire load? -- the fact is that people who have long daily commutes actually do have a much better cost of ownership with a Tesla than the upfront price tag would indicate. And for some reason there are a lot of such people in the US. And many of them regularly buy the "next priced class down" of car. There's enough such people to manage Tesla's target of 20,000 a year.

I would warn investors, though: when I took Tesla's projected sales and projected margins -- assumed they're going to achieve their goals with Model S and X -- then divided by the shares of stock outstanding, I found a stock with a *very* pricey P/E ratio. The stock already has the entire model S and X profit stream, and more, priced in.

People didn't buy iPhones or iPads because they were made by Apple, they bought them because NOTHING else in the market could compare to them at the time. People bought FUNCTIONALITY. Tesla's functionality is so far in advance of it's competition, it will only grow in sales. Once people see, drive and experience the car, they will recognize it's inherently DIFFERENT from the rest.

Blackberry and Palm were doing pretty well when the iPhone came out. They were suppose to be "status symbols" too......

True but...Apple was also a known and trusted manufacturer. If "Faraday Phone Company" had introduced the identical product as its first phone, would it have been successful? When my financial guy challenged my buying TSLA, I told him, "I'm not so much betting on Tesla as I am on Elon Musk."