Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Interesting AP Behavior

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And maybe this isn’t interesting for some folks. I was driving home the other night from a Cubs game in Chicago. I tried to use NOA but it was pouring rain so a warning poppped up that it couldn’t be used because of the weather. I could barely see the lanes on the highway it was raining so hard. I was really surprised the cameras could see the lanes. In fact, I doubt it as it was seeing the neighboring lanes too. My question is this, is AP using map data when it can’t rely on the cameras to keep a car centered in the lane?

It is not using map data, but the camera data may extend into infrared, and or be filtered for some key wavelengths.
I have seen AP1 see , and follow lines in heavy rain where I did not see them.

I have also driven with polarized shades towards low, setting sun on wet road, could barely see anything , AP drove fine.

During the last 100 miles of a road trip using NoA, which by the way performed fantastically, I ran into heavy rain. A message popped up saying NoA had limited function and went into autopilot. I was amazed at how well autosteer worked in the rain. I was concerned when trucks passed making disability even worse but the car handled it. When rain became a drizzle NoA reactivated. Pretty impressive.

And maybe this isn’t interesting for some folks. I was driving home the other night from a Cubs game in Chicago. I tried to use NOA but it was pouring rain so a warning poppped up that it couldn’t be used because of the weather. I could barely see the lanes on the highway it was raining so hard. I was really surprised the cameras could see the lanes. In fact, I doubt it as it was seeing the neighboring lanes too. My question is this, is AP using map data when it can’t rely on the cameras to keep a car centered in the lane?
Got the same message yesterday in mild rain. Normal AP/auto steer was fine. I bet this means the repeater cameras have enough water on them that NoA can’t trust them for lane changes. The ‘normal’ cameras are cleaned by the wipers but there is nothing to clean the side cameras besides wind.

Last edited:
Humans eyes are nothing compared to what AP cam can see. Check out the autonomous vehicle sub and the AP2 cam technical discussion but the dynamic range far exceeds human vision and can look directly into the sun and still resolve and works great in dark conditions.

Ultrasonics, however, are useless and radar and can incapacitated in precipitation, particularly ice and snow.