Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Interesting article about Tesla Insurance & why they're doing it

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here's an article written by some insurance people about Tesla Insurance: why they're getting into it in the first place, and why they think that they can make money doing it:

Car manufacturers are challenging traditional auto insurers: Who will win the tech race?

I wonder, though, if the angle might be different. Tesla repair costs tend to be steep, but the biggest cost to insurers probably isn't repair, but rather medical bills. Right? As the lowest-probability-of-injury vehicles on the road, it would seem to me that insuring a Tesla against medical issues for the driver and passengers in the Tesla would safe a lot of dough, maybe. Not sure that's really it, but it's my idea anyway...

Reactions: RabidYak
Here's an article written by some insurance people about Tesla Insurance: why they're getting into it in the first place, and why they think that they can make money doing it:

They miss the point about how Tesla felt their cars to be over-insured, and then they create a "false equivalence" between what Tesla is doing and the "several" automakers who have some partnership with insurance companies.

I wonder, though, if the angle might be different. Tesla repair costs tend to be steep, but the biggest cost to insurers probably isn't repair, but rather medical bills. Right? As the lowest-probability-of-injury vehicles on the road, it would seem to me that insuring a Tesla against medical issues for the driver and passengers in the Tesla would safe a lot of dough, maybe. Not sure that's really it, but it's my idea anyway...

The medical bills would be decreased for 1/2 the participants if Tesla cars were safer. Since they are safer, then that would indicate lower insurance costs.

Progressive doesn't even care if I have an SR+ or P3D, so I'd say there is room for improvement. Whats missing in the clickbait article is some basic investigative journalism. It is not about advertising.

Reactions: IdaX
The medical bills to worry about from an insurance perspective are those required for the ones you hit. That part is mandatory at least in my State. The coverage for the driver & occupants are optional. In this case, how well the Telsa vehicle protects it's occupants is irrelevant.

Reactions: IdaX