TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Interesting - BMW i3 charging from a HPWC in the USA

Discussion in 'Australia & New Zealand' started by Dborn, May 13, 2016.

1. Dborn

Dborn Confirmed

2. ZTrekus

ZTrekus Member

Actually no... I don't know what that plug is... The video is very convincing but I am still a little skeptical. Besides, we don't know if the wall charger is still down-converting to a mere 10amp power point equivalency... In which case, one may say, so what?

3. ZBB

ZBB Emperor

Someone must have 3D printed a female Tesla port and then built the adapter. Keep in mind that the HPWC and Tesla UMC follow the J1772 protocol -- only the connector shape is different. That's why the Tesla-provided J1772 adapter for our cars works on regular J1772 chargers...

4. Dborn

Dborn Confirmed

#4 Dborn, May 13, 2016
    Last edited: May 13, 2016
    For you, I would say a Mennekes to J1772 and I think they are available ready made from the usual source, China, like everything else is. The video shows something cooked up for the USA proprietary connector.
    Also, if your wall connector is 40 amp capable, then the load, ie car, will only draw what it is capable of handling same as any other electrical appliance.
    This mob could probably do it for you. BMW i3 - Charging Plug And Cable Suitable For The BMW i3
    The i3 in Australia is J 1772, right? In Europe it seems to be Mennekes.

5. miimura

miimura Active Member

The issue with making an adapter to allow charging a Type-1 (J1772) vehicle from an Australian Tesla Wall Connector is that the Type-2 Mennekes connectors are designed to disallow extensions. The only permissible connection from a Type-2 charging station with a captive cable is to plug it directly to a vehicle. The Type-2 cables that are commonly available may appear to go together, but the signal pins will not engage, so you cannot charge. You would have to make an adapter from a Type-2 vehicle inlet socket to a Type-1 J1772 handle.

6. Dborn

Dborn Confirmed

Yes, but we have J1772 to type2 (Mennekes) adaptors brought generically over the web. I have one and have used it many times. The signalling seems to get through without difficulty.

7. JAFO

JAFO Member

Doesn't the SC detect the vin of the tesla plugging in?

When it sees a bmw it shouldn't even light up, like the alien weapons in district 9

8. gaswalla

gaswalla P4201/85/airsusp/pano/19i

Its a simple adapter to make since the hpwc is just a j1772 system with a different plug. This is totally legit.

Jafo-vin recognition only on superchargers.

9. scaesare

scaesare Active Member

And even though the VIN is reported to Superchargers, they currently don't do anything with it. Supercharging is enabled/disabled by flipping a bit on the car. If some other vehicle can emulate the correct protocol handshake then, as it currently stands, it could supercharge.

But back to the original post: J1772 charging from a HPWC is no problem given the correct connections. There's a guy on this site who will replace your HPWC cable's TSLA-02 connector with a J1772 connector for exactly this sort of application. A correct adapter will work similarly. No HPWC brain modifications required. The only other thing that needs changing is the chargeport door button mechanism, but that has nothing to do with charging.

10. JAFO

JAFO Member

Good to know... Those leaf drivers creep me out, I mean *that* color blue and *that* hat, and taking that toy car on the freeway with trucks and hazmat transports... And they're serious about saving the whales n stuff, I just wanna go to Mars... but the idea of them joining our cocksure conversations at 1am super charger terrifies me.

11. gaswalla

gaswalla P4201/85/airsusp/pano/19i

Thanks...I learned the definition of a new word - cocksure.

12. alpal

alpal Member

Hold on a sec ... :rolleyes: