Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Interesting comparison review on another forum - Model 3 SR+ vs Kona Premium SE

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Rivian Vans Hit the Road for Amazon - Tesla Motors Club

Not refrigerated but seems like a big step in the right direction, if that's 100.000 fewer ICE-powered delivery vehicles on the roads...

Vans hit the road ... well, as usual with these slick marketing presentations ... maybe in 2022! Isn't it always next year or the year after? I sometimes feel like asking these folk to give it straight ... starting with the headline.

We can only dream of government support like this!

Great! No speculation of what you might be able to do in the future, this is here and now ... they just committed to the vision and got on with it. Remarkable scale of achievement. Yes we all know there's plenty of questions you could ask about the real negative things going on in China but this is outstanding. (Notable absence of the people who usually post in the comments saying things such as "yeah but what if you had thousands of electric cars and thousands of taxis and thousands of buses, what then? 'cause you couldn't charge them all because the grid wouldn't work.")

Last edited:
Reminds me that the UK had an electric van and truck company from 1920 right up until 2017, Smiths: Smith Electric Vehicles - Wikipedia

They started out making the very popular electric milk floats that were commonplace all over the UK for decades, but diversified into making site utility vehicles and electric local delivery trucks.

Yes, it wouldn't surprise me if the majority of milk deliveries to addresses in urban areas (and everybody had their milk delivered in the 60s of course) were made with electric vehicles. At the time of phasing out horse drawn milk floats it was obviously seen as unacceptable to have the deliveries (that were always in the early hours of the morning and finished before people got up) in noisy diesel trucks. For those too young to remember the electric milk floats, though quiet, had a distinctive sound. You knew you had had a good late night out if you were wobbling your way home though quiet traffic free streets and then heard, coming round the corner that gentle whine of electric motor and the jingle of milk bottles jostling in their crates! If you didn't get home before the milk was delivered it was always worth a mention to your mates next time you met!

• Funny
Reactions: ACarneiro
Yes, it wouldn't surprise me if the majority of milk deliveries to addresses in urban areas (and everybody had their milk delivered in the 60s of course) were made with electric vehicles. At the time of phasing out horse drawn milk floats it was obviously seen as unacceptable to have the deliveries (that were always in the early hours of the morning and finished before people got up) in noisy diesel trucks. For those too young to remember the electric milk floats, though quiet, had a distinctive sound. You knew you had had a good late night out if you were wobbling your way home though quiet traffic free streets and then heard, coming round the corner that gentle whine of electric motor and the jingle of milk bottles jostling in their crates! If you didn't get home before the milk was delivered it was always worth a mention to your mates next time you met!

Interestingly, despite being in a rural area, we still have a milk delivery, in glass bottles, delivered in the early hours of the morning (tends to be around 4am). He doesn't use an electric van, although I think he probably could, as I doubt he drives that far on his round.

Interestingly, despite being in a rural area, we still have a milk delivery, in glass bottles, delivered in the early hours of the morning (tends to be around 4am). He doesn't use an electric van, although I think he probably could, as I doubt he drives that far on his round.

Modern vans can be commendably quiet of course... though not as quiet as a Hyundai Kona or a Model 3 Tesla ... (see how I did that ... felt a bit guilty about drifting off thread!)

I also remember seeing an advert from the milk marketing board about recycling and how long they’d been doing it. They were way ahead of their time in a way without realising it.

I also remember seeing an advert from the milk marketing board about recycling and how long they’d been doing it. They were way ahead of their time in a way without realising it.

Yes there were some excellent examples of efficient glass recycling... much better to reuse the bottles a few times rather than remake them for every use. Same with pop bottles and all beer bottles and even jam jars I believe. We used to collect discarded bottles out of hedges to get a few pennies from the corner shop on the returns.... then buy stuff to rot our teeth!

Reactions: MrBadger

0ff6f4d52d56e584e4c1df6bd6fc0cbf.jpg

Corona man used to be like the pied-piper round our way.

Reactions: Adopado
But they also get washed and reused 20-30 times before going for recycling.

reduce-reuse-recycle

Indeed they do.

Our milk delivery service also delivers fresh orange and apple juice in a similar type of re-usable glass bottle, as well as delivering milk each day. It's obvious from the wear marks on the outside of all these bottles that they get re-used a lot, they always have marks from where they have been moving relative to each other in the crates.

Got to be one of the least wasteful forms of packaging, as not only does it get re-used many times, but is all 100% recyclable once it does get damaged to the point where re-use is no longer safe.

Reactions: Adopado