TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Interesting Conundrum (or to wrap or trip)

Discussion in 'Southeast' started by doctrewho, Nov 22, 2013.

?

Wrap first or Trip first?

Poll closed Nov 25, 2013.
  1. Definitely wrap first!

3 vote(s)
    27.3%
  2. Enjoy a trip first!

8 vote(s)
    72.7%
  1. doctrewho

doctrewho Member

I've found myself in an interesting situation. I have 2 options in front of me:

1) Pick up the car on Wednesday and immediately drop it off at TVP for wrap and tint, knowing that I won't get it back until Friday afternoon.
    Pro:​

• Car get's protection immediately
    Con:​

• [*=1]Not getting to take the car home for Thanksgiving

2) Pick up the car on Wednesday and drive it home for Thanksgiving giving me some time to enjoy the car and show it off to the family while making an appointment for the wrap and tint the following week.
    Pro:​

• [*=1]Get to drive the car home for Thanksgiving
    Con:​

• [*=1]Won't have any chip protection for the trip

I'm leaning towards the first option even though I wouldn't have the car to take home, but I thought I'd put it out there to the Tesla Motor Clubs readers to see what they thought. BTW, Is it Wednesday yet? :)

2. dflye

dflye S Sig Perf 414, VIN 814

Enjoy it first!

Well, unless "home" is down at the end of a long gravel road, then I'd maybe reconsider.

Although even with the partial hood protection from the Tesla option, something on the road over the last few months managed to get through that and then through the paint underneath it appears. So not like a wrap is going to make the car invincible anyhow.

3. doctrewho

doctrewho Member

Definitely no gravel roads involved. It's 3 to 1 in favor of trip so far (I've not voted :) ).

4. Al Sherman

Al Sherman It's about THIS car.

No doubt: enjoy the car. Your "wrap" guy is more than likely going to detail/paint correct the car before he wraps it. In most cases, by the time the car gets to you it needs this anyway. Not that the average person can tell from just looking at the car. It'll appear perfect for the most part. If you look closely, with good lighting and a critical eye; your car will need a paint correction. Driving it for a few days wont hurt it much more to be worth worrying about. Positively NO test drives if drinking on Thanksgiving!
    Enjoy.

5. NEWDL

NEWDL R#350 R#1323 Sig23 8136

We waited and got a chip on the hood front and center. I would protect it while you can. You'll be upset if you get a chip on trip 1...

I can still see that chip through the full hood wrap we have now...

Grr

6. Granny

Granny Member

Wrap first. Enjoy later!

7. doctrewho

doctrewho Member

So ended up taking the trip and gotta say road tripping in this car is awesome. I didn't have to worry about charging along the way since it was only 152 miles. The family got to be surprised which was fun. :) Tomorrow I have an appointment for tint and wrap.

8. Blathering1

Blathering1 Remember

Good meeting you the other day...

So did you go with Opticoat or xpel?

9. doctrewho

doctrewho Member

Went with the xpel. Currently it's the same as the tesla armor (but with the full hood and headlights done). I may go back and get the rest of the car wrapped, but not this month. :)

Great to meet you as well. Hope everything has been going well with the P85+!