Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Interesting conversation I had with Tesla rep about model S pricing going up in April

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If they did increase the price then it would all go to margin. Cost of materials and production costs have come down. Maybe the the price is going up because the Nevada GF worker strike. If prices do go up it'll be associated with a feature. They may also be trying to squeeze people into the Model X.

Please speculate. What feature? Enhanced AP 2.0 hardware? Model X interior bits like air conditioned seats? Or simply the bigger battery and nothing else.

I doubt it would be AP2 hardware, if they were that close, it would have gone into the MX. I also doubt it's any kind of face lift, as the dash is basically identical for the S & X. I think it's more likely that some of the 'modular' upgrades we've seen in the X will roll back to the S....LED headlights, vented seats, etc... I doubt the 100 battery for now, that would piss off a lot of loyal MX reservation holders, unless they upgrade the 90's to 100's for free (v unlikely). But, of course, this is all speculation...

I doubt it would be AP2 hardware, if they were that close, it would have gone into the MX. .

But the MX went into production about 5 months ago.

I bet it is the AP2 hardware and the MX line gets it too - once it is ready, they can crank out the MX based on the exponential ramp that was mentioned.

That and a 100kw battery, electronic/automatic coat hooks and integrated lighted visor and some other changes.

This actually makes sense to further distance the S from the 3. My fear in ordering MS was that it'll be just an overpriced & slightly oversized 3 and still have all the features. I understand now that isn't going to be the case. So, but increasing the price of the S, they are putting it on an upper shelf from the 3. I think this makes sense from an overall car line strategy.

And as long as they don't overprice it like GM did the ELR (a Volt in a tuxedo for twice the price!)

I'd probably wait on ordering if I was about to buy. Seems like there is enough smoke to warrant waiting to see if something else drops at the M3 launch. We've been anticipating a few "minor" things like seat ventilation for a while and now the 100 kwh battery sounds like a credible rumor. Enough that I would hold tight for three weeks.

Side note - I'm so glad I leased. It's threads like this that remind me exactly why I did.

Who the hell is this Jason Hughes, "Head Tinkerer"?

- - - Updated - - -

A P100D would go a LONG way to resolving my range anxiety issues.

Why would you say this? How many times in your 85 have you been close or run out of juice? I don't mean to sound antagonistic, but more truly curious.

85, 90, or 100 @ 270, 285, or 300 miles is there really much of a difference and enough to make your statement? Really - I'd love to hear more.

- - - Updated - - -

Without any inside data, my suspicion is that the price is going up, not because they are just increasing the price, but most likely because some feature is being added to the car.

So the next question becomes, what about all the orders that are in right now? These cars that may not have entered production - do they get these new features? Maybe they get the hardware for the features and you have to pay extra to activate them? I realize this scenario would be difficult with vented seats, self-opening doors, and other "upgrades" but I think that could be do-able, right?

- - - Updated - - -

Not judging, just observing - this is one way to never buy a car. ;)

Brianman, you're exactly right. Just what I was thinking. If you wait long enough, the car will be $10k and go 1000 miles on a charge! You might be 100 years old before that time comes, but if you wait long enough . . . :)