Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Interesting conversation I had with Tesla rep about model S pricing going up in April

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes -- I just received an email from Tesla just now that says I have been upgraded to the new 19 inch wheels. No mention of P100D however...

Really? That's amazing. I take delivery soon, hope this is true!

Yeah. Me 3. Mid-April delivery scheduled. I'm not going to care really one way or another.
I liked the old wheels too. The new ones just blend nicer with the 21" turbines.

Yes, you will receive this email from Tesla if your wheels have been upgraded to the new Slipstream desgin:

We are pleased to announce a complimentary update to the design of the 19" wheels on your recent Model S order.
You will be among the first in the world to debut this exciting new style and your wheels will still be equipped with all-season tires.

VIEW WHEEL DESIGN
Wheel options.PNG

We have updated your Model S configuration which you can view in your MyTesla account. Your delivery timeline has not been affected by this update, and your vehicle price will not change.

Last edited:
Called HQ, I take delivery this week and will NOT have the wheels added to my car. Just a heads-up for all those that are in transit looks like we are not getting the upgrade. Waiting on a call from my local store.

I am still hoping they reveal the 90kWh packs are actually 100kWh packs and it is a similar situation like the 40kWh packs being 60kWh a few years ago.

Sorry but that's not going to happen.

Why not? That would seem like a pretty smart way to handle the transition since instead of making several thousand customers somewhere between regretful and angry ("missed it by that much..."), it would make several thousand customers delighted.

It's the the best defense against the Osbourne effect Tesla has.

Why not? That would seem like a pretty smart way to handle the transition since instead of making several thousand customers somewhere between regretful and angry ("missed it by that much..."), it would make several thousand customers delighted.

Because, no matter what 'cutoff date' you choose - there will always be that number of customers "regretful and angry". But don't worry - it goes away.

They get over it.

I took delivery of my P85D less than two weeks before the P90D with Luda was announced. It happens.

They get over it.

I took delivery of my P85D less than two weeks before the P90D with Luda was announced. It happens.

Actually you have an advantage by being early. The comparisons over on the CAN bus thread show there is almost no performance difference between the P90DL and the P85D with the half-price ludicrous upgrade. My P85D has the upgrade and I love it. Since you got your car before the P90D was announced you should be eligible.

I was going to jump on an inventory car that has most of what I wanted to pocket the referral savings + transport costs but now I'm torn. Not only the base new rims are close to the cyclone ($2500 option) which annihilate any savings, but then as I was upgrading from my March 2014 85 to essentially get Autopilot, I would as well wait 3 weeks not to have to miss another hardware update. Maybe nothing new in term of Autopilot hardware, but some other elements are waiting to be refreshed, MCU maybe? We'll see!
Don't forget the flip side of the coin. If you wait and new features are announced, yes you may get the features and/or savings, BUT at the same time the prices may go up and/or your 85 trade-in value may go down.

Anybody who ordered recently planning to push the delivery out to see what if any new features are announced with Model 3 unveiling ?

I have for now. Order confirmed on 2/26, delivery due late Mar/Early Apr. I emailed my DS yesterday to delay to late April. It might come to nothing, and I will lose the $1200 (self) referral, but I'm in no rush, so I'd rather wait a few weeks and see what happens. I did have the 21"s on my order, so if nothing else, I'll take the new 19"s and save a bit of money.

I have for now. Order confirmed on 2/26, delivery due late Mar/Early Apr. I emailed my DS yesterday to delay to late April. It might come to nothing, and I will lose the $1200 (self) referral, but I'm in no rush, so I'd rather wait a few weeks and see what happens. I did have the 21"s on my order, so if nothing else, I'll take the new 19"s and save a bit of money.

I talked to my DS and they said it might be too late to delay. It seems they are really pushing to get cars out for Q1 end.

I dropped an email to my DS on Saturday. Haven't heard back yet. But I am expecting they will say it's too late. I didn't pay for wheels upgrade but like the new stock ones much better. I will happily pay $500 change fees to get the new wheels if they can't delay the production.

I dropped an email to my DS on Saturday. Haven't heard back yet. But I am expecting they will say it's too late. I didn't pay for wheels upgrade but like the new stock ones much better. I will happily pay $500 change fees to get the new wheels if they can't delay the production.

I'm in the same boat here too. My Tesla page is still showing the old wheels but when I click on "view specs" the page is blank. I shot an Email to my DS also. We'll see . ..

Don't forget the flip side of the coin. If you wait and new features are announced, yes you may get the features and/or savings, BUT at the same time the prices may go up and/or your 85 trade-in value may go down.

Good point.

I am selling my December 2014 MS 85 and the new 90 just confirmed a couple of days ago.

While I am OK with the depreciation hit on the 85 and the higher cost of the 90, there is a limit to how much I can/will spend on a new Tesla. The new 90D is well over 90K, and if the 100 would add 5-10K to the cost, AND that drives down the resale value of the 85 by 5K, the effective cost of a new 100 is at least 10K more than the 90.

At some point, this will make people unwilling to spend for the 100.

I completely agree. I've started drafting 18 wheelers using autopilot to conserve electrons in an effort to minimize or eliminate SuperCharger stops when taking road trips (especially in the colder winter weather). I also do my best to avoid 70+ MPH driving (even where it is legal :) ) to conserve a bit.
Makes a difference for me too for being able to travel at real world speeds on long road trips and skip superchargers that might be slightly off one's route. On my regular 300 mile route from So Cal to Mammoth a 100D would make it comfortable to skip one of the two superchargers on the route (the one which is a slight detour off the highway) while still driving at 80 mph or so on that lonely desert road that gradually gains elevation. A 90D will do it also, but with little margin - and after the pack has some miles on it, might not do it at all.

I created an order using a referral ($1200 discount, supposedly), with plan to take test drive & make deposit next week. When creating the order, somewhere I saw that I have to take delivery by April 15 to actually get the $1200 discount. I had planned on requesting a Mid-May delivery, so that might or might not work out...

- If a car is ordered March 16, could they really build & deliver it by April 15? (I've seen a lot of talk on this forum about the queue being loner than that).
- Based on discussion in this thread, is pricing likely to increase by my planned March 16 order date? (Might be OK if cool new feature(s) included)

What do you think?

It really depends on shipping time in transit. It was 2 weeks from VIN to production for me, and folks here say 4 days on the floor. So if you confirm immediately and not wait 7 days, it is theoretically possible.

I also think they are trying hard to hit a 30 day window of expectation.

For example, when I leased, I was told if you don't take delivery within 30 days (totally up to Tesla) they do a credit "refresh" on the pre-approval. While I expect that to be the case as I sit here and wait on the East Coast, (because I can't see them getting a car to me now in 10 days) it indicates a 30 day way thinking.

It really depends on shipping time in transit. It was 2 weeks from VIN to production for me, and folks here say 4 days on the floor. So if you confirm immediately and not wait 7 days, it is theoretically possible.

I also think they are trying hard to hit a 30 day window of expectation.

For example, when I leased, I was told if you don't take delivery within 30 days (totally up to Tesla) they do a credit "refresh" on the pre-approval. While I expect that to be the case as I sit here and wait on the East Coast, (because I can't see them getting a car to me now in 10 days) it indicates a 30 day way thinking.

Interesting; although, there seem to sometimes be some other forces also in play (at least, according to what I have read in this forum) sometimes - such as:

Model S orders being delayed for a while because (a) it was close to end or start of a quarter, or (b) orders with larger batteries & more options getting higher build priority, and/or (c) Model X orders taking precedence, etc.

I don't know how much of this is real vs pure speculation. Still, reportedly the MS and MX are built on same assembly line. If the line stops frequently due to assembly problems with the MX, it will also impact MS orders on that line. Also, I have heard speculation that Tesla plans a big push later this month to build a lot of MX's, so I could guess this could impact MS's (depending on the mix) if true.