Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Interesting conversation I had with Tesla rep about model S pricing going up in April

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just talked to my DS. It is too late to delay the delivery now. I confirmed the order on March 2nd and MyTesla dashboard does not show any progress at all but apparently the car is getting painted already :) and I can expect the delivery last week of March. He is checking if the wheels can be changed to new stock wheels . Anyways, this is the car I was ready to purchase anyway...so though I would like the new wheels and hopeful that my DS will come through, I am just excited that I will be driving my car by end of the month :)
Time to get the garage prepared for charging.

I was already going back and forth on the price compared to a 750ix. (I know ICE...boo). However, the no gas and autopilot were the two real separators for me. The interior in the S is no where near the BMW in quality or assemblage. With another price increase, to get a new nose cone, maybe self opening doors (something else to break) the BMW is now significantly less to lease than the 2 offsetting the gas savings. I guess my decision has been made for me.

All I'd say is, I don't think that a pure feature-to-feature comparison is fully applicable to a Model S purchase. Sure, there are areas where you may prefer BMW and there are areas where Tesla stands out. However, the driving experience is so dramatically different that you cannot possibly make a reasonable comparison without actively and thoroughly test-driving the car. If you haven't done so, do... then compare away and make whatever decision you prefer. But absolutely drive the car.

I just talked to my DS. It is too late to delay the delivery now. I confirmed the order on March 2nd and MyTesla dashboard does not show any progress at all but apparently the car is getting painted already :) and I can expect the delivery last week of March. He is checking if the wheels can be changed to new stock wheels . Anyways, this is the car I was ready to purchase anyway...so though I would like the new wheels and hopeful that my DS will come through, I am just excited that I will be driving my car by end of the month :)

I have to assume there are at least some people that would prefer to have the old wheels that they ordered rather than the new ones. Of course coordinating that would be a big mess for Tesla.

Yep, same here. Too late to push back delivery. Should be getting it March 21st. However, I did get the email from Tesla saying I'd get the new wheels. My car has not started production yet.

Hello all. I just joined forum today. I placed my order in Monterey SC on 3-5-2016. I confirmed same day and received vin today. Says delivery is expected late March-early April. I did get the new wheels. My DS confirmed as we placed order. Do you all think I will get it before the end of the month? I will be picking it up in Fremont
My config is
Model S 70
Black
Pano
High fidelity stereo
Premium lighting with black headliner
Autopilot
19' slipstream wheels

Hello all. I just joined forum today. I placed my order in Monterey SC on 3-5-2016. I confirmed same day and received vin today. Says delivery is expected late March-early April. I did get the new wheels. My DS confirmed as we placed order. Do you all think I will get it before the end of the month? I will be picking it up in Fremont
My config is
Model S 70
Black
Pano
High fidelity stereo
Premium lighting with black headliner
Autopilot
19' slipstream wheels

Congrats! Yes I think you will get it before the end of the month. I'm in Utah and confirmed a little before you and it should be delivered here around March 24th.

I completely agree. I've started drafting 18 wheelers using autopilot to conserve electrons in an effort to minimize or eliminate SuperCharger stops when taking road trips (especially in the colder winter weather). I also do my best to avoid 70+ MPH driving (even where it is legal :) ) to conserve a bit.
I understand why you're drafting behind a big car but I'd always be afraid of getting rock chips. I got a little rock chip on my frunk on the first week of ownership and I'm not sure how that happened as I certainly don't like to be behind big vehicles.

Back when I used to ride motorcycles in shorts and without a helmet, as soon as you got behind a big rig on the freeway, you can always feel the debris from the truck onto your legs. In the winter I can only imagine it being much worse with salted roads.

I'm ready to order now, but am worried I'll be kicking myself come March 31st for who knows what is coming. I'll probably order a few days before (within the week cooling off) to keep a foot in both camps, lock in current price and give me the option to change if needed. Anyone else in the same boat /sitting on the fence?

I'm ready to order now, but am worried I'll be kicking myself come March 31st for who knows what is coming. I'll probably order a few days before (within the week cooling off) to keep a foot in both camps, lock in current price and give me the option to change if needed. Anyone else in the same boat /sitting on the fence?

I'm in the same boat, I was going to order a Model S and use the referral discount... but now I am thinking I will wait and see what is going to happen at the end of the month. Was considering doing the same thing and putting my deposit down last week in March and then wait and see what I see. I also talked to our SC here and they thought I could convert my Model S reservation for a Model 3 if I really liked what I saw on the 31st. So that might be an option if I see what I like and want to sit on the fence longer. My wife and I are indecisive people about large purchases :-/. Would be great to know if changes were coming and if so what they were.

I'm in the same boat, I was going to order a Model S and use the referral discount... but now I am thinking I will wait and see what is going to happen at the end of the month. Was considering doing the same thing and putting my deposit down last week in March and then wait and see what I see. I also talked to our SC here and they thought I could convert my Model S reservation for a Model 3 if I really liked what I saw on the 31st. So that might be an option if I see what I like and want to sit on the fence longer. My wife and I are indecisive people about large purchases :-/. Would be great to know if changes were coming and if so what they were.

This is a smart move.

I only draft trucks with good mud flaps ;)
I understand why you're drafting behind a big car but I'd always be afraid of getting rock chips. I got a little rock chip on my frunk on the first week of ownership and I'm not sure how that happened as I certainly don't like to be behind big vehicles.

Back when I used to ride motorcycles in shorts and without a helmet, as soon as you got behind a big rig on the freeway, you can always feel the debris from the truck onto your legs. In the winter I can only imagine it being much worse with salted roads.

When I bought my MS in the summer they told me the prices were going up, and they did (CAD $ have increased twice more since). Sometimes prices just go up, if you wait to see what happens you may not get anything new at all except the new prices.

With the exception of this alignment with the end-of-March announcement(s), which certainly could see new features in the MS, in my perspective there is always something newer and better around the corner from Tesla so just jump in already :love:

Took a test drive today and the salesperson told me prices were going up but he didn't know why.....

Anyone else picking up a vibe that TM may not be such a different car company these days? Cold calls at home gently prodding to make decision, salesperson with the standard line, "prices were going up". Sounds a lot like what you get from any dealership the last month of a quarter if you have shown any interest. Just saying :frown:

Anyone else picking up a vibe that TM may not be such a different car company these days? Cold calls at home gently prodding to make decision, salesperson with the standard line, "prices were going up". Sounds a lot like what you get from any dealership the last month of a quarter if you have shown any interest. Just saying :frown:

They only told me this after my order was confirmed. From my experience they did not pressure at all. Others could have had a different experience though.