Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Interesting data on how weather affects your range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why did you turn climate on 29 minutes before leaving? I have below zero days where I live and the car warms up in just a few minutes. 29 minutes consumes a lot of extra energy.
Regen normally doesn't take that long to come back. 30F isn't very cold either. My commute is 12 minutes. Even on below zero days the regen is working 100% by the time I get home.
Are you completely sure it wasn't working?

The battery can not warm up in a few minutes. The whole point of preheating is to warm up the batteries, not preheat the inside. The inside heats up really quick already.

If you are plugged in at home, there is no reason why anyone shouldn't warm up their battery before driving off. 20-30 mins is about the time to get it mostly warm enough.

Asking as a newbie: So when you say "preheat", does that mean turning on seat warmers and climate control to like 75 degree a few minutes before departing on a cold morning?

You don't need the seat warmers (unless you want them) - just use the app to turn climate on - as well as warming the cabin it will precondition the battery by generating heat in the motors. The preconditioning of the battery stops if you open the car door.

Since cabin heat can peak at 6kW and motor heat 7.5kW (LR AWD) this is best done plugged into the wall charger otherwise it uses battery to do it.

If the total draw exceeds the wall supply (7kW in my case) the remainder comes from the battery but it's unlikely the cabin heat stays at max for very long so in practice I'm finding preconditioning coming from wall power and not the battery.

A lot of folks (as in this thread) say something like 15-30 minutes.

I started the climate to get the car warmed up for departure for my own comfort - I usually only turn it on 5-15 beforehand but it took me longer to get out the door than planned. The regen braking was working as much as I needed it but the dots lasted for the long drive, slowly disappearing.

My current charging situation is that I plug into a 120v inside a storage closet outside so only charge during the day. Old house, needs a big rewire/upgrade and then I will have an outdoor charger (garage was turned into a master bedroom by previous owner). It’s good to know I will have full regen braking when I drive if I’m charge prior to leaving.

no chance you’ll have full regen braking if you’re charging on 120v. That doesn’t generate much heat in the battery. It would be interesting to know at what charging speed meaningful heat is produced in the battery

Reactions: chrstna4