Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Interesting driving stats thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2020 model 3-LR has 18" tyres @ 42psi cold. Wheel covers off. It has used a run of the mill 176 Wh/km in the 14 months since new.

upload_2021-2-21_17-37-16.png

This equates to just 426 km range on a full charge. It is an average of course, but it is a long way below the guessometer's 498km. I tend to drive in spritely fashion and have the TACC set to speed limit +4%. Last week I needed to do a return journey of ~420km with the car parked for two days in the middle, without the possibility of charging anywhere. This gave rise to some range anxiety.

So I thought I would temporarily modify my driving habits to see how the range improved. Plan was to drive at speed limit minus 2kmh for 100kmh zones and at posted speed limit for lower limits like 80kmh. Chill Mode to encourage smoothness and do not overtake anybody. Leave Aircon off, unless it becomes uncomfortable, no heating. Do not use sentry mode while parked for two days as it uses ~6% a day. So by no means being a hyper-miler, just drive sensibly and don't be in hurry.

When I departed the car said it would arrive at the midpoint with 50% charge. I actually arrived there with 60% charge consuming 28kWh and 131Wh/km. A good start to my plan.

upload_2021-2-21_19-4-55.png

After the two day sit, the battery had lost 2%. On the return journey it was warmer and because I was not at 100%SOC regen was available the whole drive. I achieved 117Wh/km.

upload_2021-2-21_19-6-25.png

Out and back average was 126Wh/km.

upload_2021-2-21_18-54-41.png

Ended up getting home with the battery at 22% SOC and the guessometer saying 102km left! Had I kept driving at the 117Wh/km I was using on this drive, it would have done another 140 km (in theory). So 423+140 a total of 563km vs the 426km range I have achieved over the cars life! I knew driving more conservatively would improve things, but I was really surprised by how much.

Here are two drives over the return half of the journey above, completed several weeks apart using the different driving methods.

upload_2021-2-21_19-15-26.png

Average speed was the same on both days. Although one was colder and I would have been using the heater. One trip used 36% SOC whereas the other 51% SOC. A 30% difference in efficiency or thereabouts.

It is all very interesting, but I think I will revert to my old driving habits now.

Last edited:
@Flatbat not sure you want to show that maximum speed on a public forum? :)

Fantastic information!

Has anyone actually graphed out what the real world consumption is for the different Tesla cars at say 90, 100 and 110 km/h? I don't use any of the data services, but I suspect they could provide that information by analyzing their fleet?

My 2020 model 3-LR has 18" tyres @ 42psi cold. Wheel covers off. It has used a run of the mill 176 Wh/km in the 14 months since new.
176 Wh/km is somewhat on the high side... I have the same car as you and my lifetime average is 156 Wh/km without paying any particular attention to trying to drive efficiently. Aeros on, tyres typically pumped up to mid-40s.

On the return journey it was warmer and because I was not at 100%SOC regen was available the whole drive. I achieved 117Wh/km.
Without AC on and always driving to the speed limit, I get under 130. But 117 is very good, I don’t think I’ve ever got under 120 for a drive of any length.

If you ever need to get over 500 km range in a Model 3 LR I don’t think it is particuarly difficult to do.

And Sentry is a power hog.

I used a standard formula for power needed
HP=(W×R×V)/365+(A×.00256×Cd*xV^3)/375)/.95
It can be converted to the metric system. This is for SAE horsepower. It can be plotted in 5 km increments. it shows that the power needs to go form say 50 mph to 60 mph is 50% more. Than to go to 70 mph takes an other 50%. For model 3 and model Y Cd = .23.

View attachment 638465

This equates to just 426 km range on a full charge. It is an average of course, but it is a long way below the guessometer's 498km. I tend to drive in spritely fashion and have the TACC set to speed limit +4%. Last week I needed to do a return journey of ~420km with the car parked for two days in the middle, without the possibility of charging anywhere. This gave rise to some range anxiety.

So I thought I would temporarily modify my driving habits to see how the range improved. Plan was to drive at speed limit minus 2kmh for 100kmh zones and at posted speed limit for lower limits like 80kmh. Chill Mode to encourage smoothness and do not overtake anybody. Leave Aircon off, unless it becomes uncomfortable, no heating. Do not use sentry mode while parked for two days as it uses ~6% a day. So by no means being a hyper-miler, just drive sensibly and don't be in hurry.

When I departed the car said it would arrive at the midpoint with 50% charge. I actually arrived there with 60% charge consuming 28kWh and 131Wh/km. A good start to my plan.

View attachment 638484

After the two day sit, the battery had lost 2%. On the return journey it was warmer and because I was not at 100%SOC regen was available the whole drive. I achieved 117Wh/km.

View attachment 638485

View attachment 638483

Ended up getting home with the battery at 22% SOC and the guessometer saying 102km left! Had I kept driving at the 117Wh/km I was using on this drive, it would have done another 140 km (in theory). So 423+140 a total of 563km vs the 426km range I have achieved over the cars life! I knew driving more conservatively would improve things, but I was really surprised by how much.

Here are two drives over the return half of the journey above, completed several weeks apart using the different driving methods.

View attachment 638487

Average speed was the same on both days. Although one was colder and I would have been using the heater. One trip used 36% SOC whereas the other 51% SOC. A 30% difference in efficiency or thereabouts.

It is all very interesting, but I think I will revert to my old driving habits now.
You admit that you drive in a lively fashion. What do you expect your range to be when you drive in that fashion. I have a Model Y and when I drive locally I also drive in a "Lively" fashion. I like to accelerate to speed limit between red lights as much as possible and yes that effects my range greatly, but I do not give a rats whoo-hoo. But when I have taken 1,200 mile (1,920 kilometer) trips this winter I keep my speed within 5 mph of the speed limit and I can easily go 200 miles (320 kilometers) and use 71% of the battery. That is running at US Highways speeds 70 mph (112.6 km/h) , Climate Control set to Automatic with the Temperature set to 71 degrees Fahrenheit (21.7 degrees Celsius) and on autopilot. If I drive 10, 15, 20, etc. mph over the speed they will not get anywhere need the rated mpg or L/Kilometer...

Thank you for the data. I also have a 2020 M3LR with 18” tires and have anecdotally noticed the difference in power usage when allowing myself to have moments of swift acceleration versus more patient driving, but love that your numbers show how much of a difference driving styles, as well as other electronic usage in the vehicle, makes.

It really increases my range confidence knowing that I can make similar adjustments in order to make it to a charging station on my rural Northern Idaho roads.

Reactions: Flatbat
Flatbed-
I'm interested to kknow what application or whatever else you are using to generate these showing all of the usage information? It is really great.

That's teslafi.com

No phone app available, as far as I know, but it displays reasonably well in the mobile Chrome browser on my Android phone in landscape format.

See also this thread on this forum
TeslaFi or Not? That is the Question

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: Hairyman
my M3 SR+ is just over 1 year old

i reset trip A monthly
best month: 130Wh/km
worst month: 180Wh/km
(winter in Vancouver, BC is fairly mild, i can't imagine how high the consumption number would be in places with -20c)

i never reset trip B
whole year: 150Wh/km

last week i checked, the tire pressure were 40 to 41psi

View attachment 638465

View attachment 638484

View attachment 638485

View attachment 638483

View attachment 638487

Yes- it IS all about driving style. So many people are quick to blame the car when in fact it’s their right foot that is the key.
(And yes, I know rain, temp, terrain, headwind etc have a big effect too.)
My lifetime use in my “stealthy P” is around 156 Wh/km (249 Wh/mile).
Never forget that aerodynamic drag is the SQUARE of your speed. That also means that a 10k headwind is much more draining than the saving you will get from a similar tailwind. Likewise- driving that little bit faster makes a big difference, as of course does quick acceleration.
The good news is that slowing down will help a LOT when you’re tight for range. Don’t do it just for the last little bit- use the screen prediction to see how you’re going and slow down early which makes a huge difference.

cya!

Reactions: Vostok and meloccom

View attachment 638465

View attachment 638484

View attachment 638485

View attachment 638483

View attachment 638487

You guys with newer cars should be grateful for the phenomenal range you get. I have a 2015 P85D and driving at my most conservative in ideal conditions can never see under 190 wH/km so my range is around 340 km actual. I would be over the moon to see 150, let alone 120. Newer cars have improved out of sight.

You guys with newer cars should be grateful for the phenomenal range you get. I have a 2015 P85D and driving at my most conservative in ideal conditions can never see under 190 wH/km so my range is around 340 km actual. I would be over the moon to see 150, let alone 120. Newer cars have improved out of sight.
<200 for a MS is good. These other guys a re talking about M3s I believe. My MS average was 200. My MX ids more like 250/km.

View attachment 638465

View attachment 638484

View attachment 638485

View attachment 638483

View attachment 638487

with an average speed in the 70s you sort of expect that.

Not really. As shown, with two trips over the same route, both with identical average speeds in the70s the Wh/km varied from 117 to 159. Most people would not expect 159 Wh/km with avg in the 70s. It is more about the range of speeds used and driving style.

i have done multiple trips through the outback with aircon at full blast with 45C outside. Usually driving 80-85km/h so i stay below AC charging speed (bout 11.8kw/hr)

Really.