TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Interesting Energy Graphs

Discussion in 'Energy, Environment, and Policy' started by Bill D, Dec 25, 2014.

1. Bill D

Bill D Member

These graphs - Energy Flow - are very interesting and put our overall energy generation and energy use in perspective (click on the graphs to enlarge them).
    [FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]Electric cars live inside that skinny little 0.0257% brown line in the lower right along with Amtrak etc, so there's plenty of room for growth.[/FONT]

2. youpidou

youpidou Member

Very interesting graphical illustration, thank you for sharing.

3. Robert.Boston

Robert.Boston Model S VIN P01536

What I find really shocking about this chart (from Lawrence Livermore Labs), is that of the 97.4 quads of energy inputs to the system, only 38.4 quads (39%) provide useful services. Huge losses in both electric generation and transportation. Kudos to those who drive EVs powered by PVs!

4. swaltner

swaltner Member

Had to lookup the Quad unit of energy. Wikipedia says it's 10^15 BTU or 293,083,000,000 Kilowatt-hours (kWh) or 33.434 gigawatt-years (GWy). Never heard the unit GWy before, but me likey. :)