Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Interesting Error Warning - Car may not Restart

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First time I've seen this error....Driving home from work, got the error and called the SC. They said it was likely nothing but to bring it in when I could so they could investigate. Since I was only 4 blocks away, I swung by and picked up a loaner. I'm glad I did. When they went to start the car, it indeed would not restart and they ended up pushing the car into a parking stall. Hopefully its just the 12v battery. I should know soon...Anyone else have this error? Have a root cause? Thanks

• Informative
Reactions: MS16
Usually a quick repair. Could you please come back here and let us know what they find?

Got the car back after a week....they had to replace a HV harness and they replaced a noisy air suspension compressor...
2nd issue I've had with air suspension...I hope this is not a reoccuring issue...

Concern: Customer states: Alert appeared: Car Needs Service/Car May Not Restart,
Corrections: Vehicle Alerts General Diagnosis
Verified customer concern to be related to isolation faults found in front high voltage harness. Recommend replacing high voltage harness.
Corrections: HV Harness - FJB to Front Drive Unit - Replaced high voltage harness to front drive unit per diagnosis.
Parts Replaced or Added / Part Quantity
HV HARN, FJB-FDU, MX (1038773-10-E) 1
Pay Type: Warranty

Concern: Upon inspection Technician noted air suspension compressor making excessive noise. Recommend replacement.
Corrections: Compressor - Air Suspension Replaced air suspension compressor.
Parts Replaced or Added / Part Quantity
AIR SUSP COMPRESSOR (1027911-00-F) 1
Pay Type: Warranty

I had the

Car needs service.
Car may not restart.

warning Saturday night driving home. I thought to be on the safe side and avoid a tow, I would swing into the service centre before stopping the car. I called roadside assistance as I drove. The mobile app was having an outage this past weekend so the operator could not see the errors in my car's computer, but the warning message went away before she answered anyway.

To be safe, she kept me on the line, I drove to the service centre, parked it, then I did a total power shut down of the car and restarted. It worked fine so she said maybe just a random bug, keep an eye on it but should be safe to take it home.

The next day the car started as usual but as I was driving and vented the sunroof (first time this year!) the alert came back. I thought again I would park at the service centre and see if anyone was in (it was Sunday but I thought, you never know...) The warning went away again within a few KM of driving though.

Then I did a foolish thing and pulled into a gas station to buy a drink about 1 km from the Tesla service station. When I parked the warning came back and this time it was alternating with the error above and a reference to a 12V battery issue.

The car would not start. It had to be towed. :-(

I just got an email from Tesla confirming the same issue as the OP here.

"We have determined that your vehicle requires a Front drive unit High Voltage harness."

Oh well. I guess that's what warranties are for. I have a loaner so no sweat to me. I hope they keep my car for a week, and I'll take theres to the USA for my road trip this weekend.