Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Interesting EVgo developments

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

RTPEV

Mar 21, 2016
Durham, NC
A couple of recent developments in the EVgo network.

First, for the past 3 weeks or so, EVgo has been pulling out of their sites at Walmart properties. I hadn't read anything specific in the news about this, but it's definitely continuing. At first they put some notices such as the following into the Plugshare entries, but now they seem to just be quietly disappearing.
Unfortunately, due to circumstances out of our control, the chargers at this site will be removed from service on 10/24/22. We realize this is an inconvenience, and we sincerely apologize. Please use the EVgo app to find other nearby stations or call us at 877-494-3833 with any questions.

Second, and possibly more interesting to the Tesla community, a new EVgo station popped up in West Orange, NJ. It's listed as having two Tesla connectors (on the EVgo app/site, not Plugshare). But the interesting thing is that unlike in the past where the Tesla connectors are listed alongside the CHAdeMO connector, they are now listed alongside the CCS connector, indicating to me that EVgo has started to switch over to using the CCS adapter. It might be worth checking out if you are local. I also suspect the charge rate is probably 100kW versus the 50kW possible with the CHAdeMO adapter.

Plugshare entry: Courtyard West Orange | PlugShare
1668260656085.png

I've opened a discussion thread here to discuss this site specifically: Fastcharger - West Orange - Courtyard West Orange

Shifting to the CCS adaptter, plus they can probably pull out of any Walmart deal because of the agreement with GM and Pilot Flying J, plus other agreements.

Still losing a ton of money though.

Up here, their old 50kW chargers are terrible. 1 per site and unreliable. They should just pull them out until they can install new ones.

Reactions: kayak1
I live in the Cincinnati area and they've installed two stations with three chargers each (2 a CCS and Chademo combo and the other a CCS and Tesla combo). Sadly, they hardly ever function. I'm honestly not sure what their uptime percentage is, but it's by far the worst of all the DCFC networks. Worse even than EA if you can believe that.

I tried using my CCS adapter at three 50 KW chargers at two different EVGO stations and it couldn't connect. Very frustrating since the adapter works fine at all the Electrify America stations (when the charger itself isn't broken).

Anyone have any luck using the CCS adapter at EVGO stations?

I tried using my CCS adapter at three 50 KW chargers at two different EVGO stations and it couldn't connect. Very frustrating since the adapter works fine at all the Electrify America stations (when the charger itself isn't broken).

I have used the adapter successfully at 100kW and 350kW EVgo chargers. But I was just playing with EVgo account setup : I arrived cold, with 75% SoC, and only charged for 2-3 minutes, so I didn't note the charge rate. But in that short time there were no problems.

I would bet that the chargers that you tried are problematic. Have you tried looking them up on plugshare?

Have you checked those 50kW locations on Plugshare to see if they just suck?

Interesting about pulling out of Walmart, seems like a decent amount of sunk costs to pull the plug. I am hoping to be able to use EVgo since I have a ChargePoint account and they both claim to be interoperable. Has anyone been to use their ChargePoint account at EVgo?

I can saw that a local (SF Bay Area) EVgo Walmart location w/2 dual standard DC FCs had a message in its Plugshare entry like the OP posted. And sure enough, they are gone. You wouldn't even know the DC FCs were there before unless you were familiar w/their locations.

There's been nothing to replace them. Some folks in So Cal had been reporting the same thing around the same time. This was in late 2022.

OT: EVgo Launches “EVgo ReNew™” to Enhance and Improve Fast Charging Experience Nationwide