TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Interesting experience today at Tesla Service Center..

Discussion in 'Model S' started by DoYouEvenTraps, May 4, 2017.

1. DoYouEvenTraps

Went to Tesla Service Center to replace my key fob casing.
    I get there. Find out that the extended service agreement doesn't cover warranty stuff. So okay I'm ready to pay the $10. She takes my key and brings it to the back for the guys to replace.
    It takes a good 15 mins.. then I see the guys come to my car to test.. and it seems like they're having issue with it.

They go back in and the service rep tells me.. "your key is dead.." with a smile.. like I had handed her a dead key as a joke or something.. I'm like "I just used that to drive here from work 15 mins ago..and right before I got in my car I popped the trunk to open it"

I told her it was working when I got in my car to get here.. and worked as I parked to walk into the store.

She had insisted all they did was replace the casing and it's the same remote but it's dead.. but She made it seem like I knowing gave her a dead key or that it was already dead before I gave it to her.

I had to leave for a doctors appointment I expected to pop in for 15-20 mins and ended up there for 45. She had said that they would look at the logs and see when the car fob was last used.

I had to leave there using the app for keyless driving. But that's a pain in the ass waiting for the app to load.

What should I expect? Will they replace the key fob if they find that I did indeed drive here with the key fob working and not keyless driving? I'm like what the heck it was working when I handed it to you and all I needed was to get a new casing because the button cover came off.

• Informative x 3
    • Like x 1
  2. sdorn

sdorn Director of Awesome

I don't understand what the problem was. Why didn't they just replace the battery and let you leave if it needed replacing?

3. murphyS90D

murphyS90D Member

At my last service appointment they gave me an old car loaner. I got 1 mile from the service center and the car announced that the key wasn't present and I would not be able to restart the car. The app is not usable with a loaner so I turned around and went back to the service center and did not get out of the car or turn it off. I parked in front of the door and blew the horn to get their attention. I showed them the warning on the dash. They went and got the other key fob but the car did not respond to it either. They put a new battery in the fob but still no response from the car. At that point they got me another old car and I left. This one worked with the exception that the right scroll wheel did nothing. When I came back to get my car the first one was gone so either they got it working or they towed it away from the door.

• Informative x 1
  4. kort677

kort677 Active Member

they charged $10 for a battery replacement? really?

5. DoYouEvenTraps

It wasn't the battery.. they said I had a dead key fob.. and that they replaced the battery and it still didn't work.

I'm like "well I came here with it working." And if it's true that they can see that in the logs that then I wonder what they'll do?

Because I left yesterday with the key no longer working and I had to load the app to unlock and drive my car every time.

6. DoYouEvenTraps

The $10 was to replace the casing. The plastic piece that covers one of the buttons fell off.

7. Pinot.Noir

Pinot.Noir Member

Could you not use the second key that came with the car?

8. croman

croman Active Member

What was wrong with the service center that they couldn't believe you and would think you would lie to get another key fob. If it died as a result of your negligence it should be readily apparent. If not, the fob was defective and should've been replaced for free?

Which service center? If they don't do the right thing, post names so others can be warned.

• Like x 2
    • Helpful x 1
  9. Max*

Max* Autopilot != Autonomous

While I see where you're coming from, how many times do you think the service center has to deal with people trying to cheat them?

"Sir your car wont start because your battery is flooded. Did you drive through a river?"
    "No, of course not. My car was in the garage all night, and then I had it towed here"
    "Then why are there fish swimming in the drivers footwell?"

• Funny x 6
    • Disagree x 3
  10. sdorn

sdorn Director of Awesome

I bet it's actually pretty rare, but would be interested to know how often something like that happens.

11. croman

croman Active Member

There are dishonest people everywhere but Tesla shouldn't treat us all like dishonest people unless we've proven to be dishonest. Just my approach and I expect a company that got 100k from me to carte blanche treat me with respect and take my word.

• Helpful x 1
    • Like x 1
    • Love x 1
  12. oktane

oktane Active Member

These people at Tesla SC are MF'ers. I have to take a break from this forum because it is making my blood boil yet again.

If I were there I'd have 3 heads on a platter. You must be dealing with millennials. They actually think it is worth your time to try to manipulate them out of a key fob?

Something has got to change. Start treating customers with respect Tesla or you are a goner.

• Disagree x 7
    • Like x 3
  13. oktane

oktane Active Member

oh yeah, and there's literally nothing I could conceivably do to a key fob other than run it over with my car that should be considered an out of warranty issue. If it breaks with normal usage or dropping, it is poorly designed.

• Like x 1
  14. bmah

bmah Obscure Member

OP, I'd give them a chance to do whatever investigation they feel they need to do, and get back to you. After that, if you're not satisfied (or if they don't get back to you in a reasonable timeframe), I'd ask to speak to the service manager at whatever service center you're using, and (politely) tell him or her the whole story. Particularly if you feel that you've being treated unfairly or disrespectfully.

Posting on TMC, while it might make you feel better, is not likely to help you solve your immediate problem, which is that you now have a dead fob.

Good luck!

Bruce.

• Like x 1
  15. mrtian97

mrtian97 Member

I agree with this

16. tpham07

tpham07 Member

oh brother, here we go. A good percentage of Tesla's engineering force is millennials so you're driving around something designed by young people. Don't think any old geezer would've thought to put a 17 inch LCD touchscreen as the main UI in a car.

Is it entirely possible for the OP that the key died between him handing it off and the SC people taking it? Sure. Could the SC people have broken it swapping the battery? sure. Lots of explanations. Doubt there is anything nefarious going on here, i dont think there are any Tesla SC directives and bulletins instructing personnel to be thrifty with keyfobs.

• Funny x 2
    • Like x 1
  17. SMAlset

SMAlset Member

or the battery got installed wrong or the contacts weren't aligned properly?

Have to say while not funny that it happened to you, I did laugh that it happened. Really does sound absurd to drive up with a working fob and then nothing will work right after that point in time. I mean what are the chances, pretty slim I would think. There's got to more to why the car wouldn't recognize the fob.

• Like x 1
  18. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

#18 bonnie, May 5, 2017
    Last edited: May 5, 2017
    He's "taking a break from this forum", according to his post - so it's unlikely he'll (@oktane) see your message.

• Funny x 2
    • Like x 1
  19. SMAlset

SMAlset Member

I don't know much about electronics but since you said they needed to replace the actual FOB, doesn't it have to be paired to your unique car just like a garage remote would be to your garage door? I know there's a circuit board inside along with the battery. Did someone do this? or am I completely off base here?

20. slipnslider

slipnslider Member

Holy hell all the key fob problems on this forum. Thank god we don't have to push an unlock button any more, right guys? That was just way too difficult and reliable.

Honestly I'm about to say screw tesla and cancel my M3 reserv. People are going to end up hating tesla, not because electric powertrains are a bad idea, but because there is too much other stupid new technology causing problem after problem after problem.

• Disagree x 2
    • Helpful x 1
    • Love x 1