Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Interesting experience today at Tesla Service Center..

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Holy hell all the key fob problems on this forum. Thank god we don't have to push an unlock button any more, right guys? That was just way too difficult and reliable.

Honestly I'm about to say screw tesla and cancel my M3 reserv. People are going to end up hating tesla, not because electric powertrains are a bad idea, but because there is too much other stupid new technology causing problem after problem after problem.
Do you think that you are seeing all the problems because forums are where people complain about problems? Go to any car forum and you will see so many issues that you would never by any car.

On my current ICE non-Tesla car, I had it in for repairs once. On the bill among other things they charged me $60 for tightening a bolt.
That's like the joke about the guy who asked the appliance repairman for an itemized bill for his $100 service call. The repairman wrote:
Tightening the screw- $5
Knowing which screw to tighten- $95

Holy hell all the key fob problems on this forum. Thank god we don't have to push an unlock button any more, right guys? That was just way too difficult and reliable.

Honestly I'm about to say screw tesla and cancel my M3 reserv. People are going to end up hating tesla, not because electric powertrains are a bad idea, but because there is too much other stupid new technology causing problem after problem after problem.

In my previous cars, I've had 3 different "beepers"(not sure what the real name is) die on me. There, now you can apparently no longer trust that technology either. Want to go exclusively back to metal keys? I bet I could snap a few of those and post pictures as well.

Reactions: anonim1979

Nothing about the OP's problem indicates it's related to the fact that the key fob doesn't require button-pushing. He could have precisely this problem on a fob that requires button pushing. If we're going to advocate a lower-tech solution that's not susceptible to this kind of failure, then we're going to have to suggest a physical key. In 2017. And by that same logic, manual windows.

This isn't stupid new technology. First, it isn't new. Every car I've had for the last 15 years has had key fobs that didn't require you push a button or do anything other than have the fob in your possession to open a door or start the car. Because it's a piece of technology that you personally don't recognize value in doesn't make it stupid. The market has proven, over the last decade and a half, that there are enough people who do find value in this functionality that many automakers offer this as standard.

There's plenty of room for debate about how good a job Tesla is prepared to do implementing and supporting all of the technology in their cars. Key fobs should work- just like power windows work. So, the solution is to make the key fobs work (and to an earlier poster's point- they do), not to just stop using key fobs.

To wish for a product with an electric powertrain and, in all other ways, a complete lack of innovation is fine. An electric Plymouth, if you will. I'd never consider buying one, but that's just me. The point is, with that paradigm you'd never end up with anything remotely similar to the Model S. So, to wish for Tesla to go in that direction requires a fundamental misunderstanding of what Tesla is.

Do you think that you are seeing all the problems because forums are where people complain about problems? Go to any car forum and you will see so many issues that you would never by any car.
Repairs needed on UNNECESSARY techno toys are more infuriating than repairs needed on normal critical car parts, because if they didn't jam so many of those gadgets into the car, you'd be spending a lot less time fixing you car.

Haven't had a problem with any of our key fob's. Tesla car's are basically the iPhone's they have issues but can be fixed. Tesla may give some people problems when they take the car's in to get issues fixed. But isn't that what other car dealerships do? They abuse their customer cars more than the customer abuse's their own car.

Last edited:
Reactions: anonim1979
Repairs needed on UNNECESSARY techno toys are more infuriating than repairs needed on normal critical car parts, because if they didn't jam so many of those gadgets into the car, you'd be spending a lot less time fixing you car.

Unnecessary? Well if that's the case why dont we all go back to manual windows, physically sticking the key into the door to left to unlock and right to lock, and while manufactures are removing these features why don't they get rid of power mirrors, and airbags. Actually you know what everyone on this forum so go buy a yaris to remove all unnecessary features. But in all seriousness don't all modern car's have unnecessary feature's? Other than Tesla? I can think of ton's of other vehicles that have unnecessary features. Technology fails a lot and no car is perfect if your car is modern you will have issues with it's tech. Not saying Tesla is perfect our car's have their fair share of issues. But you can just never have a Modern car that won't have a problem with it's technology.

Went to Tesla Service Center to replace my key fob casing.
I get there. Find out that the extended service agreement doesn't cover warranty stuff. So okay I'm ready to pay the $10. She takes my key and brings it to the back for the guys to replace.
It takes a good 15 mins.. then I see the guys come to my car to test.. and it seems like they're having issue with it.

They go back in and the service rep tells me.. "your key is dead.." with a smile.. like I had handed her a dead key as a joke or something.. I'm like "I just used that to drive here from work 15 mins ago..and right before I got in my car I popped the trunk to open it"

I told her it was working when I got in my car to get here.. and worked as I parked to walk into the store.

She had insisted all they did was replace the casing and it's the same remote but it's dead.. but She made it seem like I knowing gave her a dead key or that it was already dead before I gave it to her.

I had to leave for a doctors appointment I expected to pop in for 15-20 mins and ended up there for 45. She had said that they would look at the logs and see when the car fob was last used.

I had to leave there using the app for keyless driving. But that's a pain in the ass waiting for the app to load.

What should I expect? Will they replace the key fob if they find that I did indeed drive here with the key fob working and not keyless driving? I'm like what the heck it was working when I handed it to you and all I needed was to get a new casing because the button cover came off.
My key was replaced under ESA

Yes out of the 10's of thousands of cars out there there have been a few dozen key fob issues,, which are usually taken care of in short order.

If that makes you cancel your Model 3 order, then perhaps a 76 Nova is more to your liking. Sorry, but some "Tesla People" can be so amazingly fickle. I say good riddance cause they'll only be whining the second their car displays the slightest concern failing to realize this forum is nowhere near representative of the Tesla experience... especially when it comes to issues.

Reactions: P85DBeast
Went to Tesla Service Center to replace my key fob casing.
I get there. Find out that the extended service agreement doesn't cover warranty stuff. So okay I'm ready to pay the $10. She takes my key and brings it to the back for the guys to replace.
It takes a good 15 mins.. then I see the guys come to my car to test.. and it seems like they're having issue with it.

They go back in and the service rep tells me.. "your key is dead.." with a smile.. like I had handed her a dead key as a joke or something.. I'm like "I just used that to drive here from work 15 mins ago..and right before I got in my car I popped the trunk to open it"

I told her it was working when I got in my car to get here.. and worked as I parked to walk into the store.

She had insisted all they did was replace the casing and it's the same remote but it's dead.. but She made it seem like I knowing gave her a dead key or that it was already dead before I gave it to her.

I had to leave for a doctors appointment I expected to pop in for 15-20 mins and ended up there for 45. She had said that they would look at the logs and see when the car fob was last used.

I had to leave there using the app for keyless driving. But that's a pain in the ass waiting for the app to load.

What should I expect? Will they replace the key fob if they find that I did indeed drive here with the key fob working and not keyless driving? I'm like what the heck it was working when I handed it to you and all I needed was to get a new casing because the button cover came off.

Did you ever get this resolved? I'm still curious if they paired the new key fob case to your car or if it was something else.

Unnecessary? Well if that's the case why dont we all go back to manual windows, physically sticking the key into the door to left to unlock and right to lock, and while manufactures are removing these features why don't they get rid of power mirrors, and airbags. Actually you know what everyone on this forum so go buy a yaris to remove all unnecessary features. But in all seriousness don't all modern car's have unnecessary feature's? Other than Tesla? I can think of ton's of other vehicles that have unnecessary features. Technology fails a lot and no car is perfect if your car is modern you will have issues with it's tech. Not saying Tesla is perfect our car's have their fair share of issues. But you can just never have a Modern car that won't have a problem with it's technology.
It's not all black and white, total tech vs no tech. It's where is the point of diminishing returns?
How much of a benefit is a key fob over the old remote button? It saves the giant hassle of having to push a button to open your car? Makes you feel like royalty with an invisible valet to unlock your car for you? How many visits to the service center is that feeling really worth?
There is tech which is undeniably worth it, like power windows and door locks, and tech that is more trouble than it's worth, like gullwing doors and pop out door handles.
If elon's goal is really to save the world by switching us all to electric vehicles, the logical move would be to put those cars in as many hands as possible and make them as reliable as possible, instead of cramming them with unreliable technical wizardry that have nothing to do with getting people to use electric power instead of gas.

Yes out of the 10's of thousands of cars out there there have been a few dozen key fob issues,, which are usually taken care of in short order.

If that makes you cancel your Model 3 order, then perhaps a 76 Nova is more to your liking. Sorry, but some "Tesla People" can be so amazingly fickle. I say good riddance cause they'll only be whining the second their car displays the slightest concern failing to realize this forum is nowhere near representative of the Tesla experience... especially when it comes to issues.
Those "telsa people" are just consumers who might become customers (and therefore reduce climate change) if there weren't so many reports of unnecessary technology breaking on these cars. And these are NEW cars too. I can't even imaging the costs of keeping a 20 year old tesla running. But the cost won't be due to the fact that it has an electric motor, it will be due to the pop out door handles, giant touchscreen, and gullwing doors breaking.

Last edited: