Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Interesting F-150 status email

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

jboy210

Supporting Member
Dec 2, 2016
Northern California
I am a first-week reservations holder for an F-150 Lightning and just received this email. Looks like a number of us (most I imagine) will not be getting the vehicle in 2022. Also, it looks like if you don't get a 2022 you have to order again. I wonder what this means for the aggressive pricing they originally announced.

============================================================================================================

The only EV that’s an F‑150.®​

You can feel it in the air.
Something is coming.
The truck that helped build this country is about to take it electric.​
Nearly 200,000 of you have expressed interest and excitement about the electric revolution.

Orders start at the beginning of the new year, and because of unprecedented interest, we’ll be sending invitations to order at staggered times.
Now, this kind of demand means many of you won’t get a 2022 F‑150 Lightning™ truck, but rest assured we will hold your reservation so you’ll have a chance to order a future model year.
We’ll stay in touch with you throughout this process and let you know when we’re sold out of the 2022 model. We’d hate for you to cancel your reservation, but if you do, you’ll get a full refund from your dealer.
The excitement and demand for this history‑making vehicle is incredible, so we appreciate your patience. And we’re committed to keeping you up to date right up until your F‑150 Lightning is plugged in and ready to take this revolutionary leap forward.​

Since its bought through a dealer, I would think that "due to unprecedented demand, there will be a markup of X,XXX over the manufacturers SUGGESTED retail price. We understand if you would like to cancel the order because of this, so let us know, and we will find someone who will pay that markup".
Ha, ha. If it were not true it would be sad.

My neighbor got screwed out of a Ford van he ordered because his was the only one of 10 vans orders that came in. They told him they were doing him a favor by only charging him a $10,000 uplift. They had people offering $15,000 for the van. He walked and says he will never buy another Ford.

My neighbor got screwed out of a Ford van he ordered because his was the only one of 10 vans orders that came in. They told him they were doing him a favor by only charging him a $10,000 uplift. They had people offering $15,000 for the van. He walked and says he will never buy another Ford.

That's not Ford, that's the dealership. I've heard this story so many times. Someone custom orders a car, word gets out while it's being built, someone else offers a markup, the original order person doesn't get the car. The dealership just needed a guaranteed sale before placing the order and after that it's fair game (they think) to advertise the car.

Seems pretty shitty business practice to me, and a major reason I think dealerships need to die.

That's not Ford, that's the dealership. I've heard this story so many times. Someone custom orders a car, word gets out while it's being built, someone else offers a markup, the original order person doesn't get the car. The dealership just needed a guaranteed sale before placing the order and after that it's fair game (they think) to advertise the car.

Seems pretty shitty business practice to me, and a major reason I think dealerships need to die.

Since you can not buy a ford from "ford" but have to go through a dealership, ford or the dealership is the same, for customers.

Its one of the reasons I like the tesla model so much, even though I know for a fact that if everyone could buy direct from the manufacturer, the price would not be "cheaper" for everyone. It would just be "more fair" for everyone, without any of these games.

it has never made sense to me that the same car on a dealership lot could be wildly different prices for me and someone else based on our ability to "negotiate a deal", and most people just want to "not be taken advantage of", at least here in the US thats the case.

The dealer model does need to die, and I think the Car manufacturers agree. Dealers of course are fighting that, but there are so many stories like this across the country, that the entire model is a "relic of days gone by" that needs to go.

@jboy210 should be able to simply wait for the car to come in, pay MSRP whenever that is, and go on about their life, but I would be shocked if it actually happened like that.

Nearly 200,000 of you have expressed interest and excitement about the electric revolution.
I’m honestly surprised Ford only managed to get less than 200,000 people to reserve their truck when the Cybertruck has ~3 million pre-orders. Then again, maybe I’m not.

Now, this kind of demand means many of you won’t get a 2022 F‑150 Lightning™ truck, but rest assured we will hold your reservation so you’ll have a chance to order a future model year.​
Definitely misleading from Ford to say they’re making a truck that’ll compete with the Cybertruck, give people a chance to reserve one, and then proceed to say that most pre-orders will be pushed back a year, with only a select few receiving their cars this coming year. Almost as if they need the extra year to “fix” the car before it goes out to a larger amount of consumers. 🤔

I’ll give Ford credit where credit’s due and kudos to them for shipping out their truck before Tesla (unless there’s more delays), but that’s definitely on the condition that the new Lightnings are actually good vehicles.

Regardless, just seems to me like Ford isn’t taking this game seriously. They have the money and existing factories to do more than they are, and they must be aware at this point that they can’t survive as a company without pushing more for EVs. Despite having some great marketing (as seen in this email and literally any Ford ad), that’s not going to be enough for Ford to make it.

”..Now, this kind of demand..” nice marketing 😂

Reactions: TessP100D
I am a first few hours reservation holder, did not receive this email. Hopefully that means I will be able to order one. Thanks for giving me hope and sorry to hear about your luck. Take comfort in knowing my F150 will be in a landfill before my cybertruck is ready at this point. You’ll get your Ct before me. Only reason I even ordered a lightning was CT queue is four years long at this point on the optimistic end.

Reactions: CO_MY
I am a first few hours reservation holder, did not receive this email. Hopefully that means I will be able to order one. Thanks for giving me hope and sorry to hear about your luck. Take comfort in knowing my F150 will be in a landfill before my cybertruck is ready at this point. You’ll get your Ct before me. Only reason I even ordered a lightning was CT queue is four years long at this point on the optimistic end.
I am not sure I am even going to go through with the F-150 order.

I only ordered the F-150 as a backup in case Tesla never built the new X, which I also have on order. And the new X is shipping now. My X estimated delivery date has drifted back to Feb 2022 and may drift later since it is a 5-seat model, and only the 6-seat is shipping now. But I suspect, based on no evidence, not back beyond June 2022. And that is still way before I will ever get an F-150 Lightning.

Dealerships will be the end of Legacy Automakers.

There is a century old mountain of protectionist state laws shielding car dealerships and regulating activities of car manufacturers. Buyers are not having it anymore.

Anyone who pays tens of thousands over MSRP gets exactly what they deserve...ripped off.

Last edited:
They sent this email out to every reservation holder 1-200,000. I’m #2 at my local Ford dealer and they said I’ll be able to order within a few weeks.

Reactions: KJD

Except I received the same e-mail and ordered hours before you did. It’s possible you won’t even have a chance at ordering this year and that’s why you didn’t receive this email. Either way, I am happy I kept my CT Reservation, Ford is going to shoot themselves in the foot with this dealer crap.

Their are 3000+ Ford dealerships in the USA… some big and some very small. The 2022 production target is 15,000 trucks… my guess is some of the smaller dealerships might see 1 order completed this year… larger dealerships will have a dozen.

• Informative

When per-ordering, one should always lock in a price as well as secure it with a deposit and a purchase agreement. As prices can change, this can be set at MSRP or some percentage of. Otherwise, yes you can be shafted by a dealer that isn't concerned about retaining you as a long-term customer, as the vehicle isn't "yours".

Their are 3000+ Ford dealerships in the USA… some big and some very small. The 2022 production target is 15,000 trucks… my guess is some of the smaller dealerships might see 1 order completed this year… larger dealerships will have a dozen.
Did Ford have qualifiers for dealers that could older the F-150 Lightning? GM culled some of its dealerships that were not willing to put cash into redoing their facilities for EV service and sales.

Reactions: T3SLAROD
Yes, they need to be EV Certified......whatever that really means. ...
Based on my experience with the Ford dealers so far it means they can spell it.

They still talk about getting service contracts for normal maintenance on your EV. You know things like tune-ups, oil changes, and transmission services.

The most important thing to check on an EV is the condition of the dealer installed undercoating and rust proofing, as well as fabric protection wear and possible need for reapplication. Though being wear related, this comes as a customer expense.