Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Interesting F-150 status email

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did Ford have qualifiers for dealers that could older the F-150 Lightning? GM culled some of its dealerships that were not willing to put cash into redoing their facilities for EV service and sales.

The conversion to EV’s will be resisted by both sales and service at the dealerships. Back in 2014 I took my Nissan Leaf in to the dealer for the Nissan-mandated annual battery check. When I arrived they apologized profusely but they would have to break my appt because their only EV tech went to work elsewhere. They then offered me a gift certificate — for a free oil change.

Worse, when I asked where the tech went they had absolutely no idea. After 2 phone calls I found the Nissan dealership down the street hired him away.

• Funny
Reactions: jboy210
The conversion to EV’s will be resisted by both sales and service at the dealerships. Back in 2014 I took my Nissan Leaf in to the dealer for the Nissan-mandated annual battery check. When I arrived they apologized profusely but they would have to break my appt because their only EV tech went to work elsewhere. They then offered me a gift certificate — for a free oil change.

Worse, when I asked where the tech went they had absolutely no idea. After 2 phone calls I found the Nissan dealership down the street hired him away.
I suspect many dealerships are going to fold as EVs become more popular. A lot of dealerships make most of their profits from service. And without all those 15,000, 30,000, and 60,000-mile services plus brake jobs and other wear item services, there will be little profits. Only the ones that can raise their car prices higher to generate profits will survive.

I've been semi-following the Mach E forum and the Ford fans started out in a super-defensive posture (dealers are needed!, BS). Not much of that now. They have a "wall of shame" thread listing dealers who charge mark-ups; another for "good" dealers". However, as has been suggested here, the dealers are primarily clueless when it comes to EVs. That includes the officially approved ones. Something is going to snap.

“The conversion to EV’s will be resisted by both sales and service at the dealerships”

That’s what killed photo giant Kodak.
Stores depended on customers coming in to buy film, coming in again to drop off for processing, then coming in again to get prints - likely buying other stuff each trip. Stores threatened to drop Kodak’s products entirely if the latter made a serious move toward digital photography, so the move was delayed - terminally. Customers pivoted seemingly overnight, once digital cameras got good enough (despite naysayers lamenting deficiencies).

Ford et al can’t pivot in time, because dealerships (sales & service) will revolt.

Reactions: Big Earl and Sandor
Definitely misleading from Ford to say they’re making a truck that’ll compete with the Cybertruck, give people a chance to reserve one, and then proceed to say that most pre-orders will be pushed back a year, with only a select few receiving their cars this coming year. Almost as if they need the extra year to “fix” the car before it goes out to a larger amount of consumers. 🤔
You do realize that everything you wrote above can be said about the Cybertruck, except that they pushed pre-orders back TWO years.
Regardless, just seems to me like Ford isn’t taking this game seriously. They have the money and existing factories to do more than they are, and they must be aware at this point that they can’t survive as a company without pushing more for EVs. Despite having some great marketing (as seen in this email and literally any Ford ad), that’s not going to be enough for Ford to make it.
IMO, Ford underestimated demand and now they can't get batteries and/or motors from their suppliers. Factory space and other components are likely not an issue. I believe they are working to build their own battery manufacturing but that doesn't happen overnight.

Based on my experience with the Ford dealers so far it means they can spell it.

They still talk about getting service contracts for normal maintenance on your EV. You know things like tune-ups, oil changes, and transmission services.
You all do realize that when the Roadster came out, Tesla demanded that you bring the car in every 12 months or 12,500 miles so they could check the battery and service the air-cooled parts of the drivetrain? Nissan did the same with the Leaf. They did this because no matter how much testing they did, owners will use (abuse) the vehicles in ways they didn't plan for and so they want to know see how the various bits are aging. I'm sure Ford will be looking for this type of data as well.

I have had my share of bad dealer experiences and good ones. The good news is that if you live in a larger town, there are multiple dealers to choose from. So if you are treated poorly at one, you can go to another. If Tesla has bad customer service, what can you do? Complain on the internet...

Orders start Thursday, Build and Price will be available Tomorrow…. Here we go

8C2B32A9-D330-4315-9866-38685DF08C04.jpeg

That's not Ford, that's the dealership. I've heard this story so many times. Someone custom orders a car, word gets out while it's being built, someone else offers a markup, the original order person doesn't get the car. The dealership just needed a guaranteed sale before placing the order and after that it's fair game (they think) to advertise the car.

Seems pretty shitty business practice to me, and a major reason I think dealerships need to die.
They call them, “Stealerships” for a reason.

Reactions: LoudMusic
Dealerships provide an important public service by making the car-buying and maintenance experience so unenjoyable that people are disinclined to spend large amounts of money on new, marked-up assets that depreciate as soon as they leave they lot and continue thenceforth.

I think Tesla and this direct sales model have attracted a whole new group of people who had possibly never before spent so much money on new vehicles

Anyone know what the "Max Trailer Tow Package" is for $865? I am planning on a Lariat w/ Extended Range Battery. Of the available options, this is the only one that I might be interested in. But the description on the Build/Price doesn't tell me anything.

It provides towing up to 7700 lbs….. but I think the biggest benefit is that it might provide extra cooling for the batteries? Not sure yet.

Got a May order but not sure if I'm middle of the line or further back. Think I'd buy the cheapest Pro trim around $42k so only $35k after tax credit. Still should be able to sell for close to break even after a few years I'd think. Not sure if I'll actually be able to buy it around that price or not. If dealers are doing markups I'll wait.