Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Interesting first day with my M3 LR!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I collected from West Drayton, car looked fine although difficult to check the paintwork as bodywork was fairly wet.

App did not activate when I left and still not working with my main Tesla email address. However, I can login to the app (enabled second driver access) and the other email address works!

Had a problem at the supercharger (South Mimms) and received the error pop-up 'power reduced, exiting vehicle may restore operation'. Went away after charging finished but I'm a little nervous.

Got home and noticed a paint defect on the passenger wing mirror.

And to cap it all....I have just noticed the registration plates back and front differ by one letter from the registration I was expecting (must have missed this with my excitement this morning). The DVLA confirmation in my account shows they registered the other plate, not what is currently on the car!!! I hope this is an easy fix and they will print new plates? Thankfully the VIN is correct, but I do wonder if someone else is driving with my plates on...what a mess. Has this happened to anyone else?!!!

To add, I have just checked the askMID insurance database and the incorrect plates on my vehicle do match another Model 3 LR. So clearly that other vehicle has my number plates!

I wonder if anyone else on this forum collected a M3 LR in pearl white from West Drayton today..

So I collected from West Drayton, car looked fine although difficult to check the paintwork as bodywork was fairly wet.

App did not activate when I left and still not working with my main Tesla email address. However, I can login to the app (enabled second driver access) and the other email address works!

Had a problem at the supercharger (South Mimms) and received the error pop-up 'power reduced, exiting vehicle may restore operation'. Went away after charging finished but I'm a little nervous.

And to cap it all....I have just noticed the registration plates back and front differ by one letter from the registration I was expecting (must have missed this with my excitement this morning). The DVLA confirmation in my account shows they registered the other plate, not what is currently on the car!!! I hope this is an easy fix and they will print new plates? Thankfully the VIN is correct, but I do wonder if someone else is driving with my plates on...what a mess. Has this happened to anyone else?!!!

Going technical, that's called SNAFU

You could assume the police will be understanding, but I would be careful, especially as you don’t have the DVLA documents yet.

It’s a right old hoo-ha at the very least. Be careful mate :). And same for the other owner - they might not even know !

I kind of had this issue a few years ago at Manchester, but spotted on unveiling the car.

At that time, the handover person was Dutch, and he told me over the phone the reg number, ending "Why-En-Cee". So of course I insured the car with number ???? YNC.

Unveiling the Tesla . . . plate said YNZ - I said - this isn't my car - he said yes it is, Y-N-Zee. We smiled, I called the Insurance company who were happy to fix what was a misunderstanding.

I can also understand the error made at WD - the plates were made up, someone made the simple error of not checking the [visible] VIN against the plate they were fitting to the car. Their fault, they should sort asap, and bring the new plates to you. With the number plate holders they use, swapping them is a two minute DIY job. Experienced fitter, 20 seconds!

Call the service manager who should have given you her/his business card.

Stay safe,

Tony

• Informative
Reactions: Beady3647
Thanks, suffice to say no business card handed to me as it was all contactless!

I would like them to come to me. Would a ranger also fixed the paint job on the wing mirror - i.e. replace the casing? I’m sure a detailed could help but don’t want to spend the money!

....Would a ranger also fixed the paint job on the wing mirror - i.e. replace the casing?
There was a tiny blob of dust under the paint on my LH wing mirror at delivery. Apparently all stock housings are just the black moulding awaiting a colour spray & seal. Took a few weeks to replace because of sub-contract paint shop lockdown but this was fitted in about 10 minutes by a home ranger visit. Perfect match.

Reactions: spursman
I've said it before and I'll say it again. Don't collect from West Drayton. They are too busy to do a good job.
Having said that I got the wrong plates from Birmingham. But I also got as long as I wanted under cover to check the car over and the plate fault was actually not really Birminghams fault to be fair.

Reactions: Beady3647
Not that it's any comfort, but I drove round for over a month with a car with unmatched number plates front/back. Two numbers were transposed and it was only while I was washing the car I finally noticed.

It was a used Mercedes supplied by a main agent who only changed the plates in the first place so they could 'pretend' to be the original supplier and get their name on the plates.

Even with the correct VIN number and insurance? I can evidence wrong plate? I’m so angry with Tesla and myself for not noticing until now.
You’ll be covered, but you run the risk of being pulled over (that exists on a new policy anyway). That said I would be surprised if the Police pulled over a 70 plate car as they’d take it as read that the system hadn’t updated yet.

If by some chance you did get pulled, you could show that you were substantively insured, that is to say the important particulars are disclosed and accurate - you, the car, etc. The plate is somewhat irrelevant beyond being an easy way to systematically check insurance coverage.

Reactions: pow216

Sorry to hear this, hopefully they can rectify fairly swiftly. Where did you get the dvla details from your account btw?

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Don't collect from West Drayton. They are too busy to do a good job.
Having said that I got the wrong plates from Birmingham. But I also got as long as I wanted under cover to check the car over and the plate fault was actually not really Birminghams fault to be fair.
I wouldn't say this was accurate as mine was picked up today and was faultless. Much better than I expected and I have brought my fair share of new cars.

I think arriving earlier may have been the trick though. As I was leaving it was getting busier.

Sorry to hear this, hopefully they can rectify fairly swiftly. Where did you get the dvla details from your account btw?

I wouldn't say this was accurate as mine was picked up today and was faultless. Much better than I expected and I have brought my fair share of new cars.

I think arriving earlier may have been the trick though. As I was leaving it was getting busier.

under manage account, where the booking invoice and final invoice are found. There was another document ‘registration’.

Reactions: s88ats
I finally managed to fix the curious Tesla app access issue (homepage of Tesla app said 'no products linked'). I recall about a month ago I tried to add my proposed purchase to the ev.energy app but something went wrong when I inputted my Tesla account credentials. I have just successfully linked my Tesla account to the ev.energy app, it immediately recognising my VIN and state of charge. I then went straight back to the Tesla app, logged in and hey presto, my car is finally there!!

I can only assume that the ev.energy app somehow temporarily disabled my ability to use the Tesla app and could only be fixed upon me relinking my account credentials via the ev.energy app. Very strange.