Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Interesting frunk usage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How do others use their frunk? For most of us the Model S is our first vehicle with space in the front.

The husband and I drove up to Apple Hill California today from Sacramento. I needed to get some apple juice so I can make cider. 15 and 1/2 gallons (3 in the microwave) fit perfectly in the frunk.

Attachments

• IMG_20150222_152957.jpg
    IMG_20150222_152957.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 1,993
As a "D" owner I've been wondering what I should put in there. I can't fit a stroller or a tire. Maybe a pair of 18" subwoofers in a custom box. My wife and kids would dig that.

In all seriousness with kids I'm sure it'll see it's share of use on road trips. We have always filled our traditional trunk to the headliner with kid's junk so this will come in very handy. Grocery runs too.

Reactions: chriSharek
I keep the Tesla frunk organizer bag (rip off, but had to have it!) in the microwave with emergency supplies (that tire filling thingy, small tool wallet, MF cloths, windex, wheel lock key, first aid kit, etc, and of all things...toilet paper because one never knows...). My friend asked "what type of supplies: vodka, ice maker and martini shaker? Got me thinking...but no. I also keep an emergency blanket, because it get's so brutally cold in CA, of course, and my charge cable plus the CAMCO 30 ft extension, which has come in very handy.

I purposely put things I hope to rarely use because of my paranoia about the dreaded "Frunk Dent". The rear has plenty of space for my storage needs.

My baby stroller beautifully fits in there, so when se have lots of stuff to put in the trunk (when on a road trip) that's its usage.
Otherwise, I have a storage box that fits right in the boxy shaped space at the back of the frunk, where I keep all my cables and adapters.

Nice. Maybe we need a thread "What's in your Frunk?"

Great idea! Might as well be this thread.

My frunk at all times:

aqYppwKh.jpg

In the frunk...

In the"microwave" cubby:
  • 1 gallon of water in BPA-free container - (For emergencies. Has already saved us once!)
  • 2 stingers:
    • Camco 14-50 extension cord: 30 ft - 50 amp, 6 gauge.
    • Yellowjacket 5-20 extension cord: 50 ft - 20 amp, 10 gauge. (comes with 5-15 adapter)

In the Snap-On red bag with Velcro underside: (mostly car maintenance stuff)

• Bag strap for Snap-On bag
  • Tesla tire repair kit.
  • J1772 lock (prevents someone from yanking a J1772 plug out of the Tesla adapter while in use)
  • Wagan 12v to 12v jumper (not sure why I have this, wonder if it works?)
  • Heavy duty duct tape
  • Joe's - analog tire pressure gauge
  • Michelin - digital tire pressure gauge + batteries
  • 2 bags of zip ties (8 inch, 10 inch)
  • 2 bungee cords
  • Knee pads
  • 2 Wheel chocks (RV rated)
  • Plastic pry tools (To remove ice or nose cone without scratching)
  • Life hammer - orange, window smasher/seatbelt cutter (There's a second one in the car itself.)
  • Heavy duty workgloves
  • Squeegee
  • 3 plastic Magnetic LED signalers (won't stick to the car's aluminum body tho lol)
  • 10 Cyalume green glowstick flares
  • Reflective safety jacket (I have another one in the glove box)
  • Stoner Invisible Glass - window cleaner
  • Utility knife
  • Torque wrench
  • WD-40 - small can
  • Multi-head screwdriver

In the Adeco black bag: (mostly car detailing stuff)

• Big blue wash sponge
  • 20 microfiber towels
  • Meguiars showtime spray
  • ArmorAll cleaning wipes - interior
  • Optimum Opti-Clean quick detailing spray
  • Large bungee cords (pack of 24 various sizes)
  • Clorox disenfecting wipes
  • Car Febreze
  • No-Rinse wash-and-shine
  • Microfiber squeegee
  • Windshield interior cleaning tool - spade shaped with handle
  • Big car duster (we call it the "Broofle")

Elsewhere in the Frunk:

• 10 Tekton Miniclamps
  • 10 Glow stick flares- red
  • UMC bag:
    • UMC connector
    • 14-50 adapter
    • 5-15 adapter
    • Yellowjacket 5-15 extension cord: 25 ft - 15 amp, 12 gauge - I'm probably gonna get rid of this one soon because I hate it.
  • Lighted T-kit (to be installed)
  • SCC Tire Chains from Tesla

The trunk is full of way more stuff (survival stuff, winter-readiness stuff, sleeping bag, blankets, pigtail EV adapters, roadside emergency stuff, First-Aid, cooler, stools, etc).
A lot of this is because we don't have a garage so it's easier to keep car-related stuff in here. Plus we love being prepared for any scenario.
So far, it doesn't seem to have impacted our range. I'm currently doing some tests with the car empty and full and taking measurements to see just how much it effects it.

I don't have a pic, but I have a sleeping bag. When I get tired, I just fold down the seats and lay out the sleeping bag.
I am slightly skeptical about using the frunk though. Last time I had it jam on me and had to take it to service. They told me they greased it but I've never opened it since...