TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

interesting horn behavior?

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by pilotSteve, Feb 18, 2013.

1. pilotSteve

pilotSteve Member

Today I was driving about 30 mph in the right lane happily listing to Slacker when the car beside me in the left lane (almost parallel) suddenly began turning into my lane. There was traffic behind both of us so a panic stop would probably resulted in a rear end collision. Anyhow I mashed HARD on the horn while braking and he suddenly jerked back into his lane. We didn't touch but I'm sure we came within 2 inches. I masked down on the horn a good three seconds until he was back in his lane and I was well behind him.

As the adrenalin began to abate I noticed how quiet it was. Slacker Radio had paused. Interesting. Either this is a safety feature (hold horn down for several seconds usually means something bad going down so muting could be helpful) or I somehow gripped the wheel such that I clicked the left scroll wheel.

Who knows and I don't encourage others to try it.... so perhaps I'll just put it down to enjoying the idea that Tesla thought to include this safety feature: quiet after panic.

2. spatterso911

spatterso911 MSP#7577 **--** MX#1891

My money is on option #2, but I wouldn't put the innovation past Tesla for option #1

3. cdabel

cdabel Member

A test without the imminent collission would still be good science.

4. Robert.Boston

Robert.Boston Model S VIN P01536

This happened to me, too, but I'm 99% sure that my left hand (used for the honking) also mashed down the left scroll wheel, muting the radio.

5. ElSupreme

ElSupreme Model S 03182

I too have noticed this. I am fairly certain I pressed the mute button also. I find I hit the track forward button, and mute on accident somewhat often in this car.

6. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

I always thought it would be a good idea for the high beams to come on with the horn. Audio and visual warning at the same time...