Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Interesting how tire pressure monitor works.. (Story about a flat tire)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm wondering how it's going to work when I drive my 21" wheels with new TPMS sensor + tires to the tire place to have them mounted and balanced. There will be 8 active sensors in the car. Will it ignore the 4 new ones because it's still receiving from the 4 sensors in the 19" wheels? I assume so and hope so.

I'm wondering how it's going to work when I drive my 21" wheels with new TPMS sensor + tires to the tire place to have them mounted and balanced. There will be 8 active sensors in the car. Will it ignore the 4 new ones because it's still receiving from the 4 sensors in the 19" wheels? I assume so and hope so.
As long as it is still receiving signals from the old tires in trunk, I would think it would be happy. As soon as you unload them it will search for the new ones and ask to pair with them.

after a few minutes the ones in the trunk go to sleep, as long as they aren't rotating like they are rolling on the road they'll stay asleep. You might not even get the car turned on before they go to sleep.

... I could keep it for 3 days so I could either get my own tire fixed or buy a new one from Tesla (they don't do repairs apparently). I put the flat tire in my trunk and drove on..
They do onsite repair now and I got the bill for $42. I am located in the Bay Area. The fiance was driving the TM3 this morning while I was out of town. The pressure warning came on when she got to the office. She checked and sure enough, there was a nail in the tire. She couldn't find tire shop near the office, so she called Roadside assistance instead. They sent a tire van out to check if they could repair on site. They were able to patch it instead of having to replace.

I learn so much about my 2017 MS75 by reading posts on this forum.
My local tire store, Town Fair Tire, repaired two slow leaks caused by a staple and screw in different tires during the past year. They claim these 19" tires have a sound absorption foam liner that must be cut out and replaced for proper puncture repair. It their claim BS or truth? BTW, the nice service advisor did the repair for free.

I learn so much about my 2017 MS75 by reading posts on this forum.
My local tire store, Town Fair Tire, repaired two slow leaks caused by a staple and screw in different tires during the past year. They claim these 19" tires have a sound absorption foam liner that must be cut out and replaced for proper puncture repair. It their claim BS or truth? BTW, the nice service advisor did the repair for free.

The acoustic foam is real, but it's of questionable importance. I've seen a number of interior tests that basically found no delectable difference.

all 4 of my TPMS batteries went dead and had to be replaced, out of pocket. lasted about 2 years. each set costs $200. not cool. they should last longer than that. so this is an expense people should expect to be paying periodically...

This doesn't sound right. I've never had a TPMS battery die on me yet and I've had my car for almost 5 years, although perhaps it's possible when the car was in for service they replaced them. It doesn't seem like something they'd do though and I'm not aware of that happening based on the invoices I've received unless they somehow came with tire replacements.

If you have a relatively recent build (about VIN 55000 or later) with the new TPMS system, you can use the roller wheels on the steering wheel to select the Status monitor (hold the wheel until you see the various choices, and roll to your choice). Those of us with older builds do not yet have support for TPMS display (...glad I have a FOBO Plus system).

Maybe a bit earlier around VIN 53000 which is where I'm at.