Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Interesting: Model 3 Maintenance interval is double that of S & X.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting:

If I choose not to service my Tesla car, will this void my warranty?
It is highly recommended that you service your Model S or Model X every 12 months or every 12,500 miles, and your Model 3 every 24 months or 25,000 miles. If you do not follow this recommendation, your New Vehicle Limited Warranty or Used Vehicle Limited Warranty will not be affected. However during the agreement period of the Extended Service Agreement, your coverage may be affected if the recommended service is not performed. See the Tesla Extended Service Plan Terms and Conditions for further details.

Car Maintenance

I wonder why....fewer parts? Better built?

I also wonder when Tesla will kick in a Model 3 extended service agreement....hmmm

Extended Service Agreement

I wonder why....fewer parts? Better built?
This would make sense. The way Tesla operates is that they use what they learn to build every product better than the previous one.
I also wonder when Tesla will kick in a Model 3 extended service agreement....hmmm
I wouldn't be surprised if they never offered it for the Model 3. The service center are already not able to handle the volume they currently get.

The only maintenance I need Tesla to do are Battery coolant replacement and maybe the A/C desiccant bag replacement (I'm not even sure what this is). Everything else seems like it can either be DIY or done elsewhere.

I wouldn't be surprised if they never offered it for the Model 3. The service center are already not able to handle the volume they currently get.

The only maintenance I need Tesla to do are Battery coolant replacement and maybe the A/C desiccant bag replacement (I'm not even sure what this is). Everything else seems like it can either be DIY or done elsewhere.

An ESA isn't for maintenance items- it's for repairs.

The issue there isn't labor- it's parts. Also Not just price (since most parts are not offered by any 3rd party and expensive) but also availability (which is terrible, a lot of parts Tesla won't sell you at all- see the thriving market in parting out wrecked Teslas...) .

As to an extended warranty- they'll have to offer one- every other car out there does (including some of their own).

But they can't easily do so until they've got at least a couple years data on failure rates- to know how to price the thing so they don't lose money on it.

This sucks for folks who put like 50k miles a year on their car and will be out of warranty quite fast though.

An ESA isn't for maintenance items- it's for repairs.

The issue there isn't labor- it's parts. Also Not just price (since most parts are not offered by any 3rd party and expensive) but also availability (which is terrible, a lot of parts Tesla won't sell you at all- see the thriving market in parting out wrecked Teslas...) .

As to an extended warranty- they'll have to offer one- every other car out there does (including some of their own).

But they can't easily do so until they've got at least a couple years data on failure rates- to know how to price the thing so they don't lose money on it.

This sucks for folks who put like 50k miles a year on their car and will be out of warranty quite fast though.
I was reading it wrong. I thought that was the pre-paid maintenance plan. I would be interested in the extended warranty, although with my amount of driving I won't need it until year 7 or so.

I was reading it wrong. I thought that was the pre-paid maintenance plan. I would be interested in the extended warranty, although with my amount of driving I won't need it until year 7 or so.

bumper to bumper is 50k miles or 4 years, whichever comes first.... so you'd need it after 4 years... (and typically companies only will sell you one if you're still "in" factory warranty when you buy it- to avoid people waiting to buy it until something not covered is wrong with the car.

That's why they'd have to offer one before the first model 3s hit 4 years (which would be late summer 2021)- and even then they'd be pushing it for higher mileage drivers to get in under the wire.

bumper to bumper is 50k miles or 4 years, whichever comes first.... so you'd need it after 4 years... (and typically companies only will sell you one if you're still "in" factory warranty when you buy it- to avoid people waiting to buy it until something not covered is wrong with the car.

That's why they'd have to offer one before the first model 3s hit 4 years (which would be late summer 2021)- and even then they'd be pushing it for higher mileage drivers to get in under the wire.
The battery and powertrain is what I'm more concerned about. I can live without bumper to bumper warranty.

The battery and powertrain is what I'm more concerned about. I can live without bumper to bumper warranty.

Ah, bad news then- the ESAs don't cover those. ESA is basically a 2 or 4 year (and 25k or 50k) extension of the factory 4/50k warranty.

Drive units and battery in contrast are covered from the factory separately for 8 years/120k miles (LR battery anyway) and that's it.

• Informative
Reactions: Tron 3
Looking at that maintenance so tire rotation is every 25k miles ? WOW ! At-least on my gasoline cars I use to get rotation every 6000 miles from Americas tire so they can wear evenly.

Now is 25k ? Really a good advice I am in ca.

Looking at that maintenance so tire rotation is every 25k miles ? WOW ! At-least on my gasoline cars I use to get rotation every 6000 miles from Americas tire so they can wear evenly.

Now is 25k ? Really a good advice I am in ca.

Per their website, literally right above the table:
Maintenance service is recommended every 24 months or every 25,000 miles driven, whichever comes first. In addition, Tesla recommends tire rotation every six months or every 6,250 miles driven.

Tire rotation is still every 6250 miles. No change there. So 3 tire rotations before you bring it in for the first service.

The Tesla Model 3 was specifically designed for longer intervals between servicing (24 months/25K miles) and servicing requirements are minimal compared to ICE vehicles:
- Tires require proper inflation and rotation every 6250 miles, and they wear out depending on driving conditions*, windshield washer fluid needs regular replacement, and wiper blades age and wear out
- The dual (back-to-back) cabin air filters aren't as fine as those on the Model S/X (HEPA), so they generally last longer
- DOT3 brake fluid is hygroscopic and gradually absorbs moisture, and should be replaced every 2 years (this applies to ALL cars and trucks)**
- The battery/drive/cabin coolant system is designed to require flushing and coolant replacement every 4 years. I don't know about coolant system desiccant bag replacement, it's not on the service schedule
- Tesla added external oil filters on the Model 3 drive units to filter out wear particulate, extending the life of the drives and their lubricant oil, these are changed every 6-8 years
*OEM Tesla tires have custom sound-dampening foam inserts that can present problems at tire shops, and Tesla cars must be carefully hoisted using designated hard points to avoid damage to their expensive underside-mounted battery packs
**Regenerative braking causes Tesla disk brakes to wear very slowly - it may be several years before brake fluid is normally replaced along with brake pads or during a complete "brake job", so regular brake system flushing is recommended

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Informative
Reactions: chronopc
I wouldn't recommend it, but you could drive a Tesla Model 3 for four years / 50K miles doing no servicing maintenance other than taking care of tires and windshield wipers and any other minor issues and be safe and confident. Four years. That's truly amazing when you think about it. No surprise that auto dealerships are worried about EVs.
And at that point, you need to have the brake fluid and the cooling system flushed, and have the dual cabin air filters replaced. There's not going to be a crisis if you're late.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: alcfeoh