Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Interesting new API in iOS 13.4

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

jmaddr

Mar 29, 2019
Florida
Now this is interesting, in the just released beta, iOS 13.4 has
"References found in iOS 13.4 reveal new 'CarKey' API which will make it possible to use the iPhone and also the Apple Watch to unlock, lock, and start a car."
I wonder if our cars have the NFC hardware to support? I am hopeful since we have the card (whereas the S/X only have the fob). I'm not convinced it's hugely different than bluetooth in operation, but it would be nice to have another option. Well, one useful application of it is I would be able to use this on my runs without having to carry the card.

Last edited:
More information:

CarKey API

There appears to be a new API in iOS 13.4 called CarKey that is designed to allow the iPhone and the Apple Watch to unlock, lock, and start a compatible car.

Users will be able to use CarKey in vehicles that have NFC capabilities, with the iPhone or Apple Watch unlocking the car when held nearby. Authentication via Face ID will not be required, and the initial pairing process will be done through the Wallet app.

CarKey can be shared with other people, like family members, with drivers able to invite them through the Wallet app to have access to the key on their Apple devices. Based on signs in the code, Apple is working with some car manufacturers to implement the feature in the iOS 13.4 update.

an NFC solution would be "better" than the BT trick, however would force you to pull out your phone/device to unlock the car. the benefit being, you would be able to lock your electronics in the vehicle, without the vehicle unlocking when you try to open a door (BT proximity). this does, however, re-open the NFC swipe thefts that used to (still?) happen. if someone knows you have an NFC-enabled car, they could bump you and steal your code (theoretically). i haven't kept up on what controls are in place to prevent this (rolling code? blockchain?).

If Tesla implements this it should be relatively easy for them to finally allow unlocking the car with an Apple Watch, although you’d likely still need to double tap a button on the device to bring up the list of cards saved in the wallet app. This could be very useful for those that don’t want to carry their phone or keycard with them at all times.

• Disagree
Reactions: dandan and kpeng
an NFC solution would be "better" than the BT trick, however would force you to pull out your phone/device to unlock the car. the benefit being, you would be able to lock your electronics in the vehicle, without the vehicle unlocking when you try to open a door (BT proximity). this does, however, re-open the NFC swipe thefts that used to (still?) happen. if someone knows you have an NFC-enabled car, they could bump you and steal your code (theoretically). i haven't kept up on what controls are in place to prevent this (rolling code? blockchain?).

The way Apple implements NFC you need to double tap on a button on the device to bring up the list of saved cards. I do not believe it’s actively broadcasting any NFC signals until you do this so the likelihood of any code theft is minimized. And with credit/debit cards it always transmits a unique code each time. I’d be surprised if they don’t do something similar with their car key API.

• Disagree
Reactions: kpeng
The way Apple implements NFC you need to double tap on a button on the device to bring up the list of saved cards. I do not believe it’s actively broadcasting any NFC signals until you do this so the likelihood of any code theft is minimized. And with credit/debit cards it always transmits a unique code each time. I’d be surprised if they don’t do something similar with their car key API.

Sorta. There's also Express Transit Cards in iOS that lets you set a default credit card to be used without unlocking, waking, or tapping anything. This allows you to just tap the phone at a turnstile (like with OMNY in NYC) and go. Other cards still require the double-tap & authentication. I suspect (or hope) Apple requires authentication for something as serious as unlocking a car.

Thoughts:
Unfortunately there isn't any documentation on it on Apple's dev website yet. In fact Core NFC doesn't show anything for it's change log in the docs.

It shouldn't require double tap. If you put your iPhone on the center console of the 3 tap to pay shows up automatically. It should know if you have a key set up (if and only if Tesla/Apple supports it). As an example: If I hold my phone up to the payment terminal at a Jimmy Johns, it seems my Jimmy Johns loyalty information automatically.

It doesn't feel like it would be a technical limitation to require CarPlay although it MAY be a licensing requirement by Apple (to early to say). I don't know what Tesla's motivation would be to implement this unless they just want the good press since they already have similar functionality w/o dealign with more Apple requirements.

Last edited:
Is there any news about this? Very curious if the Tesla development is working on implementing this cool feature !
The function is already in the app on the phone. Porting it over to Apple Watch would not be hard but given that Apple just recently like early this year released the API for CarKey for iOS and WatchOS. So maybe Tesla will release that function early next year.