Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Interesting news about the Yoke from my service tech

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just picked up my 2022 Model S Plaid and noticed that the R in the drive selector module was partially showing when all the other letters were hidden. So I setup a service appointment to fix it. While the service tech was at my house replacing the module I voiced my displeasure about the Yoke and horn placement. He responded with “Tesla is working on an add on to the yoke which will make it round, have the steering buttons be configurable and add a center horn”. It will apparently replace the existing airbag and mount from that location. If this true, I think this will be a worthy upgrade. Thoughts?

Name another airbag mount steering wheel "attachment" that has passed crash testing.
You asked

1658725156660.png

Consider that significant changes to the steering wheel would likely require all new crash testing. Adding the horn may be minor enough to avoid this. Ignoring the engineering costs for a new steering wheel, it could cost Tesla $1M each to crash test the S and the X again. Since there only seems to be a handful of people that hate the Yoke and most owners are indifferent or like it after using it for a few weeks, I doubt Tesla will make any significant changes until the next major update, perhaps in 5-7 years.

Reactions: Silicon Desert
He's clearly pulling your leg. Nothing about that concept would be legal or viable.
yup, sounds strange to me too. I won't debate whether it will be legal or not. Just to say from my consulting with T, I've found that service technicans (in general) rarely even keep up with simple changes in the car much less be in the loop for knowing what is coming down the pipe line or being designed.