Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • The final cut of the 8th episode of the Tesla Motors Club Podcast, featuring Balazs Biro, of the prominent Hungarian EV channel Villanyautósok, is now available. You can watch it now on YouTube or listen to it on all major podcast networks.

Interesting news item - Tesla's Autopilot 'tricked' to operate without driver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Irata

Oct 16, 2020
UK
I'm quite confused by the intent of these press releases.

Is there really a totally foolproof driver assistance system from any manufacturer. Even a camera based system, someone is bound to try an inflatable mannequin in the drivers seat. It gets to a point it's always the drivers fault for abusing the system.

If the worry is about how it's marketed or labelled, they don't need to play around fooling it themselves.

Reactions: Jez_GB

GeorgeSymonds

Mar 16, 2018
UK
I'm quite confused by the intent of these press releases.

Is there really a totally foolproof driver assistance system from any manufacturer. Even a camera based system, someone is bound to try an inflatable mannequin in the drivers seat. It gets to a point it's always the drivers fault for abusing the system.

If the worry is about how it's marketed or labelled, they don't need to play around fooling it themselves.
Totally fool proof? Is anything? But others do eye tracking so even if the driver was sitting in the drivers seat, if they had their eyes closed or looked away for too long it would create intervention.

Secondly, they say it wasn't on autopilot. Lets say AP disengages because of lack of driver input, should it just abort, or should it bring the car to a safe stop with the hazards on if for example somebody had a fit or heart attack?

No different to putting a brick on the accelerator and using sticks and string to steer from the back seat. Putting my toil hat on, this could be push back against the adoption of EV's by legacy auto lobbyists. We've seen it time and time again. From the batteries will poison the planet to excessive tyre wear creates particulates which will negate the lack of emissions.

You only thing one can do is to apply common sense and look beyond the sound bites.

I have no sympathy whatsoever for people who are tinkering with safety systems and kill themselves. Its like someone buying a gun (legally) blow their brains out and then blame the gun manufacturer.
There is no way you can build a system that is completely idiot proof.
I hope all these idiots out there don't spoil it for the rest of us.

Nothing is foolproof because the world keeps making stupider fools.

You've got to wonder WTF was going on in the "drivers" head if he tricked the safety systems and then climbed into the passenger seat.

A Darwin Award winner for sure.
“Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.” - Rick Cook

Reactions: Dilly and Blokie
Status
Not open for further replies.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC