Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Interesting night at the Supercharger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hawthorne is a popular location. Los Angeles county alone has 10 million people, with the adjacent counties it's well over 15 million. There are a lot of people driving and California is a very big market for Tesla cars. More Model S have been sold here than in any other state.

The two people who waited to charge 100% claimed they needed it to get home. One said 'San Diego' but that's only 120 miles. :-/ Everyone else in line waited to get just enough to get home. I don't think the problem is that there are locals who hog it just to save a few dollar. That's silly. If you live local why would you want to sit at a SC when you can be home with your family and charge there? Model S owners aren't so poor that they really need the savings of a SC over home charging. LOL

A second, probably much larger SC location, is planned for Los Angeles. It's already on the map as 'coming soon'. IOW Tesla is aware it's much needed and I'm sure it's going to be in a location that works better with many stalls.

Hawthorne is a popular location. Los Angeles county alone has 10 million people, with the adjacent counties it's well over 15 million. There are a lot of people driving and California is a very big market for Tesla cars. More Model S have been sold here than in any other state.

The two people who waited to charge 100% claimed they needed it to get home. One said 'San Diego' but that's only 120 miles. :-/ Everyone else in line waited to get just enough to get home. I don't think the problem is that there are locals who hog it just to save a few dollar. That's silly. If you live local why would you want to sit at a SC when you can be home with your family and charge there? Model S owners aren't so poor that they really need the savings of a SC over home charging. LOL

A second, probably much larger SC location, is planned for Los Angeles. It's already on the map as 'coming soon'. IOW Tesla is aware it's much needed and I'm sure it's going to be in a location that works better with many stalls.

Never underestimate the lengths some people will go to for something that is "free", no matter how well off they are.

I don't understand why some people are saying that it's not legitimate for owners to charge to 100% at the superchargers? Sure, it takes longer, but if that's what that person needs then that's what they should get. The fact that there is congestion and whatnot is Tesla's issue to resolve. You can't expect someone who is in the middle of charging to move their car so you can grab a quick 10 minute charge. If there is a line of four cars, and all felt that sense of entitlement, then the person doing the 100% charge would spend an additional 40 minutes as each of those four owners demand "only a 10 minute charge". That's not fair to the person who arrived first and who is in the middle of charging.

Instead of getting upset that someone is unwilling to yield their charge spot while actively charging, send an email to Ownership to express your dissatisfaction with the fact that Hawthorne has issues. Again, the people charging are not responsible and should not be inconvenienced because 3 of the 7 stalls were not working. Again, point that out to Tesla and make them beef up the network. I don't think it's appropriate to dump on other owners who are legitimately charging. It would be entirely different if the cars were just parked there and hogging a spot without charging, but that is not the case here.

I don't want to see Tesla add stalls to Hawthorne. I want to see stalls added 20 or 30 miles outside the city. (Actually, I want better coverage in the rest of the world first).

California already has the most charging infrastructure of any location on the planet. (Or among the best). Many owners are still a long way from the nearest supercharger. They'd probably give an arm and a leg to have the privilege to wait an hour to get a charge!
Bingo! I've only laid eyes on a supercharge once in my 16 months of ownership and that was in Colorado while my MS was still in Missouri. Qwicher whining about waiting a few minutes for a totally free charge that some planning ahead would've probably allowed you to avoid anyway and let's keep the pressure on to expand the infrastructure locations to accommodate those wishing to travel long distances as the superchargers were intended to do, not to serve as a free convenience for city dwellers.

I don't want to see Tesla add stalls to Hawthorne. I want to see stalls added 20 or 30 miles outside the city. (Actually, I want better coverage in the rest of the world first).

California already has the most charging infrastructure of any location on the planet. (Or among the best). Many owners are still a long way from the nearest supercharger. They'd probably give an arm and a leg to have the privilege to wait an hour to get a charge!
I am not sure I would give an arm or a leg to get a supercharger within driving distance of me, but I will admit that I get a bit perturbed with people who complain they have to wait a few minutes to get access to a SC! Or even more so for those who want another 20 or 30 miles away from a current one. Stepping off my soapbox now.....

I've used Hawthorne SC 12 or 13 times during the past 11 months on our road trips from San Diego, including four times during the past 2 weeks enroute to NoCal. And i've yet to wait. Maybe I was lucky. Because this location serves a big population base (and those traveling to other areas) it's very busy. Over next couple months after SJ Capistrano and Oxnard comes online (and adding another unnamed LA location) some of these waiting issues will go away. At least that's what I'm hoping for.

Maybe the stalls were closed to upgrade to 135 to help alleviate this issue. This is where 135kwh is the biggest help, and that along with more stalls and more locations are the only solutions. Locals will charge at local sc. I have nothing against that.

proper education about supercharging does need to be done by Tesla. This starts with teaching about how stalls share a charger and how to tell. Hopefully tesla can do something here now that they are clearing a lot of other issues off their plate this last month.

I don't understand why some people are saying that it's not legitimate for owners to charge to 100% at the superchargers? Sure, it takes longer, but if that's what that person needs then that's what they should get.

I agree that you should be able to charge there to whatever you want. I don't think anyone says whoever has the lowest battery should come first or the one needing the shortest charge should be first in line. It's not a matter of having the right, it's just common sense. The last 10% charge are very slow. In fact they are so slow that it's at the speed of any public J1772 station. So instead of blocking a SC just go on the road and charge these 10 miles you really need at some public station on the way. You are going to need the exact same amount of time to charge these extra 10 miles anywhere. There is no point blocking a SC capable of 120 kW while charging at 9 Amp when people are waiting to get home.

One possible solution when charging at a SC would be to have a message pop up on the screen once the charge has reached 70 or 80% telling the owner that the last 20% will take very long and to be mindful of people waiting to charge their empty battery. In fact, at some SC the signs say you can only charge there for 30 min.

Yes the situation would not have been such an issue had the three other stalls been working, but it gives you a good idea what is going to happen at SC in general in the years to come.

Some mentioned California already having the most amount of SC and shouldn't get more before others get them. Los Angeles county alone has more people than 46 states! Add in the surrounding counties and you get an idea of how many people are here. The number of Model S on the road also is un-proportionally high in California. It only makes sense to have SC where many Tesla's are on the road. It's not favoritism, it's just accommodating demand.

- - - Updated - - -

... I will admit that I get a bit perturbed with people who complain they have to wait a few minutes to get access to a SC! Or even more so for those who want another 20 or 30 miles away from a current one. Stepping off my soapbox now.....

everyone waited about 45 min. at 9 pm.

I agree that you should be able to charge there to whatever you want. I don't think anyone says whoever has the lowest battery should come first or the one needing the shortest charge should be first in line. It's not a matter of having the right, it's just common sense. The last 10% charge are very slow. In fact they are so slow that it's at the speed of any public J1772 station. So instead of blocking a SC just go on the road and charge these 10 miles you really need at some public station on the way. You are going to need the exact same amount of time to charge these extra 10 miles anywhere. There is no point blocking a SC capable of 120 kW while charging at 9 Amp when people are waiting to get home.

One possible solution when charging at a SC would be to have a message pop up on the screen once the charge has reached 70 or 80% telling the owner that the last 20% will take very long and to be mindful of people waiting to charge their empty battery. In fact, at some SC the signs say you can only charge there for 30 min.

Yes the situation would not have been such an issue had the three other stalls been working, but it gives you a good idea what is going to happen at SC in general in the years to come.

Some mentioned California already having the most amount of SC and shouldn't get more before others get them. Los Angeles county alone has more people than 46 states! Add in the surrounding counties and you get an idea of how many people are here. The number of Model S on the road also is un-proportionally high in California. It only makes sense to have SC where many Tesla's are on the road. It's not favoritism, it's just accommodating demand.

- - - Updated - - -

everyone waited about 45 min. at 9 pm.

I don't believe this is true. The ones that have that are 30mins of general parking for any non charging car. Yes that is silly but that is what Tesla had to do to get the spots from the property owners.

Edit:
Also I completely disagree that someone charging to 100% should leave before they are done just so that someone else doesn't have to wait. They have just as much of a right as you do even if they want/need to charge to 100%.

Most of my Hawthorne experiences have been negative -- either long waits because of the crowd (mostly locals! argh) or very low miles/hour charge once you *do* wind up getting a charger. The location is bad, I've pulled in there well after midnight and found all kinds of shady types lingering around in the shadows (not Tesla owners, just loiterers and whatnot). It's just not an ideal place. LA needs more supercharger sites, period.

As soon as San Juan Capistrano opens up I'll prolly stop using Hawthorne for good on my runs north (next stop being Tejon).

However, I fear that SJC is going to be overrun with Laguna/San Clemente/SJC locals pretty quickly.

How I wish Tesla would come out with a 110kWh battery. I'd skip LA altogether (always a good thing :)

Never underestimate the lengths some people will go to for something that is "free", no matter how well off they are.
Yep. As evidenced by the fights that break out for free charging at my office.

A solution for Tesla to implement:
Add more locations so that this is never the case. More specifically, keep the number below 70% charge to get from supercharger to supercharger.
But what about 60 owners?

Edit:
Also I completely disagree that someone charging to 100% should leave before they are done just so that someone else doesn't have to wait. They have just as much of a right as you do even if they want/need to charge to 100%.

Just because you have the "right" to do something doesn't make it right. Totally disregarding common courtesy with the excuse of "having the right" to do something is boorish behavior. Do you stay seated and make a pregnant woman or elderly person stand because you "have the right" to your seat? Do you let someone with 2 items jump in front of you at the supermarket checkout when you have an entire shopping cart of stuff or do you so "no" just because you "have the right to"? On the flip side, do you get ticked off at the person at the grocery store that has 33 coupons, does 4 price checks, has the checkout person take something off the list, and then writes a check? Based on your statement I sure hope not, because they "have the right to".

Regrettably some people care only about themselves.

Think also, that if the person charging to 100% unplugged to allow the 10 minute charge, then the other side of the paired charging location would become primary and further delay their departure if they were still in the first 50% of their charge cycle. The 2nd 50% would likely not make much difference. Hope I phrased that understandably.

Last edited:
you guys in Ca are nuts! I have a MS 60 and the SCs are spaced avg 140 miles apart so I can get about 80% in 40 min and that is enough to get to the next one. Also, from what I can see in Ca there are SCs everywhere and most in that area are within 100 miles. Most people have 85s so they really dont need a 100% charge. But from looking at the map and where Hawthorne is, my guess is that most of those people dont have any need for a 100% charge. Just being selfish and a PITA. Unless these people were going direct to Las Vegas there is no direction that isn't within a very short distance.