Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Interesting Range test

pt19713

Feb 5, 2020
Delaware
It's been known on the 3 & Y that there's an approximately 3.4 kWh reserve. This fluctuates based upon the BMS calibrations. Obviously not ideal to run it that low and potentially brick the car but it acts like the zero mile reserve on gas cars and the low fuel light.

Reactions: mark95476

mcorf

Apr 21, 2019
Campbell,Ohio
It's been known on the 3 & Y that there's an approximately 3.4 kWh reserve. This fluctuates based upon the BMS calibrations. Obviously not ideal to run it that low and potentially brick the car but it acts like the zero mile reserve on gas cars and the low fuel light.
How many miles is that ?

Puma2020

Jun 16, 2020
New Hampshire, USA
How many miles is that ?
It depends on how you drive, especially the speed.
If you assume 300 wh/mi (maybe 350 wh/mi) that'll be 9, 10 or maybe 11 miles.
Hopefully you are either really, really close to home, or a long steep downhill or near a charger.
Either way you should be looking for a place to be charging it very soon.

Reactions: mcorf

mark95476

Jun 21, 2020
Bay Area CA
I'm glad that Edmunds has finally got around to this, but it makes me wonder where they've been. :rolleyes:

I think most Tesla owners know about the "reserve" tank below 0% SoC. People, like Bjorn, that have been testing Teslas and other EVs have been doing this for years.

Looks like there are a few miles left after the car reaches zero miles. Informative results regardless.

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC