Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Interesting run through the Blue Ridge Mountains

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Today, I drove my 2020 Model X from an intersection on one side of the Blue Ridge Parkway in Virginia, over the mountain and down the other side before going over a smaller ridge to get to my home.

I started at the top of the picture where it says State Route 664. The remaining miles on my battery charge showed 117. The white diagonal line across the upper left corner of the picture is the Blue Ridge Parkway which rides along the top of the BR Mountains. After climbing up and over, I descended down a 15% grade toward the Wintergreen ski resort. In my old Toyota Highlander Hybrid, I would have been burning up my brakes going down this road. In my Tesla, I actually had to press the accelerator to keep from stopping in the road. Tesla had me take SR 680, which is a formerly gravel road that winds through a forest with a climb and then a descent. The last leg on SR 681 is a very windy gravel road which leads to my neighborhood. All in all it was a 14.3 mile trip over some pretty steep mountains.

When I stopped, the remaining miles was 119! So basically, the trip was a freebee.

One day, I will run the other way and do the same test. I wonder what the difference ends up being?

Tesla drive over BRPW.PNG

Today, I drove my 2020 Model X from an intersection on one side of the Blue Ridge Parkway in Virginia, over the mountain and down the other side before going over a smaller ridge to get to my home.

I started at the top of the picture where it says State Route 664. The remaining miles on my battery charge showed 117. The white diagonal line across the upper left corner of the picture is the Blue Ridge Parkway which rides along the top of the BR Mountains. After climbing up and over, I descended down a 15% grade toward the Wintergreen ski resort. In my old Toyota Highlander Hybrid, I would have been burning up my brakes going down this road. In my Tesla, I actually had to press the accelerator to keep from stopping in the road. Tesla had me take SR 680, which is a formerly gravel road that winds through a forest with a climb and then a descent. The last leg on SR 681 is a very windy gravel road which leads to my neighborhood. All in all it was a 14.3 mile trip over some pretty steep mountains.

When I stopped, the remaining miles was 119! So basically, the trip was a freebee.

One day, I will run the other way and do the same test. I wonder what the difference ends up being?

View attachment 616955
Looking forward to driving this area at some point in the coming year. I have family that just bought property near the Wintergreen resort.