Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Interesting Seats in a New Loaner

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is just me being curious...

I just picked up a 2WD 85 service loaner that's brand new (80 miles on the odometer when I picked it up) yet it has what looks like the Premium Leather from the previous generation of seats, with Alcantara inserts and red piping. Am I missing something or are these previous generation seats in a new build? Take a look:

Seats.jpg
Panel.jpg

Was this just Tesla using up their old inventory of seats when building a car that they knew was slated to be a service loaner?

Thread starter here:

I also just noticed that the loaner also has red brake calipers. :confused: The Design Studio still shows that red calipers are available only on the P85D.

Clearly my loaner has a couple of slight identity issues. It's still great, though. This is the first time I've seen the black Alcantara, which is gorgeous.

(BTW, it has the grey metallic paint, which I've decided looks really classy.)

I also just noticed that the loaner also has red brake calipers. :confused: The Design Studio still shows that red calipers are available only on the P85D.

Clearly my loaner has a couple of slight identity issues.

I think it has more to do with the fact that Tesla is constantly tweaking the Design Studio. Red calipers were an option on the P85/P85+ then the S85 for a while too.

These are the original performance seats. It's what was placed in my P85D temporarily while I wait for the Next Gen seats (supposedly by end of May). I'm enjoying them in the meantime.

I'm just curious as to whether they gave you any indication about how much work swapping the seats was going to be. Was it a half-hour to unbolt the old seats and put in the new ones, or is it going to be several days and involve taking most of the interior apart? That might indicate how much extra they might charge for retrofitting Next Gen seats into existing cars.

I think it has more to do with the fact that Tesla is constantly tweaking the Design Studio. Red calipers were an option on the P85/P85+ then the S85 for a while too.
I think it has more to do with Tesla leaving no parts unused and trying to minimize factory space consumption.

• Factory shift manager: "Why do we have a dozen __ sitting over there?"
  • Factory shift worker: "We had an oversupply of __ after discontinuing/changing that option."
  • Factory shift manager: "Be right back."

• Factory shift manager: "We have an oversupply of ___."
  • Production coordinator: "Put them on the next service vehicles that go on the line. We'll incorporate that in the pricing when they're made into inventory cars for sale. Heck, we could probably charge a premium for TMC folks that like unicorns."
  • Factory shift manager: "Heh, yah. On it."

I'm just curious as to whether they gave you any indication about how much work swapping the seats was going to be. Was it a half-hour to unbolt the old seats and put in the new ones, or is it going to be several days and involve taking most of the interior apart? That might indicate how much extra they might charge for retrofitting Next Gen seats into existing cars.

Given that others have reported having the seats removed to service specific components of the vehicle (I think like the DC-DC converter and battery cooling mechanism), the seats are decently easy to remove. For a retrofit, I would imagine the price would be more than $1k that's currently being discounted, simply because of "waste" of your current seats. For those who paid the full $3,500 expecting fronts and rears, the cost of the current substitute rears is a "cost of doing business" while they have a supply shortage. In that case, it would make sense to stop promising the tears, discount the price, and leave current deliveries without the expectation of a "free" or $1k seat swap. That said, this is just my personal opinion and I could easily be wrong.