Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Interesting "study" on Autonomous Driving and future impact

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It came to my attention this two studies that predict our cities of the future regarding the use of cars made by Boston Consulting Group.

What do you think?
IMG_4722.JPG
IMG_4723.JPG

I can totally get into the BCG theory. Today mass transit makes a lot of sense efficiency wise but what happens if power (nukes/solar) is essentially free? Then personal vehicles are fine and probably the preferred choice, especially in the private world we are becoming. Everyone wants the private space. IMHO social media is actually driving us to be less social but I digress.

If the future is shared personal transport and then this offers an alternative to private ownership and also allows for the market to adapt. Good idea.

I prefer Tesla's vision of near zero in city parking. The cars are always in motion then leave the city as cyclical demand falls.

I get you, but you need to have some sort of clusters of car fleets around town for that quick getaway. And keeping the cars on the move is very energy inefficient if you're not transporting anything. Even if the car don't burn gas, you must think in all consumables you will "burn" a lot quicker if it keeps in a "moving state".

Currently cheaper [i.e. cost of battery electricity used] to continuously "drive around the block" than pay-to-park ... which doesn't bode well for congestion.

Although I reluctantly agree with your statement, when you account for consumables and the cost to produce (cost of fabrication and cost to environment), I think you are wrong. Think tires, for instance. What it costs to produce on set of tires? And if you keep changing and discharging the battery, what is the life expectancy for those? Can we recycle/reuse them with minimal wastage?

Reactions: WannabeOwner
Indeed, I agree with you ... I just see it as a "risk" of how things might turn out. I doubt it will be cost effective for me to have my own autonomous car driving round the block for the 8 hours I am at work!! ... but for a fleet of Uber vehicles available for hire it could be the means that the "slack" is taken up :(

Lots of multistorey (and/or "flat") car parks in towns ... opportunity to reuse that space for alternative purposes if autonomous vehicles drive out-of-town when not required.

The big benefit to Tesla's sharing model is that it supports shared ownership and a stronger social fabric. The second "commuting" car can be car pool shared, "Hey, we need a car to get to work, and we all work close. Let's split a 3."

And when you don't need it, you can just say it to go wash and charge itself. I like that future.
Charge itself should happen every night, automatically. No need to speak. I would bet that the camera's catch a bit of the hood... it will know when it needs a bath. Again, no need to tell it. Except maybe to set a "WASH ME" or dirtiness threshold.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: andrerodpt