Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Interesting Tire Information.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My early 2022 Model S Plaid came with 19" Pirelli tires. Just recently, I picked up a nail in the sidewall area of one of the rear tires. I took it to Discount where they said it could not be patched because of the area of the puncture, which would be a place subject to flexing. After checking with their gauge, they said both rears were worn to 7/32 from the new tread depth of 10/32. They suggested that I replace both rear tires because of the difference in sizes of new vs worn tires so I bought two new tires. A couple of days later I was at the Tesla Service Center where they told me I didn't have to replace both because each rear wheel has its own motor and that Teslas have a lot of high tech electronics which keep the rear wheels in sync, even when the sizes may vary. Now I wonder if Discount was just pushing me to make an extra sale.

Reactions: Olle
It’s been common practice to replace tires in pairs because a matched pair of tires on the same axle would optimize handling and performance. This guidance is common from both tire manufacturers and also vehicle manufacturers. This guidance was therefore transmitted to tire customers by a lot of tire shops. I don’t think they’re trying to sell you something you don’t need but rather giving you advice based on a decades long common industry knowledge. Of course, very few cars on the road have a motor for each wheel like the Plaid so it’s highly unlikely that advice will change for a while.

Reactions: Ron Burgundy