TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Interesting Trip - but not in Oz

Discussion in 'Australia & New Zealand' started by raynewman, Jun 27, 2016.

1. raynewman

raynewman Member

We just got back to Sunnyvale CA after a week long trip to Vegas, Grand Canyon, LA and back to Sunnyvale.
    Added over 3,000 km to Tom's P85D. Was a good run except for a total car failure on day 1.

The lane holding (AP) doesn't work as well here as in Oz.

Good fun cruising down the freeways at 80 MPH plus.

Super chargers everywhere of course.

2. alpal

alpal Member

Total car failure?

3. raynewman

raynewman Member

Just after pulling out from Harris Ranch Supercharger, got:

IMG_2973.JPG

Died for about 10 mins; then Tesla had us drive to Monterey for a check. Took quite a few extra hours.

4. championi

championi Member

Wow, what did it end up being?

5. raynewman

raynewman Member

The service people at Monterey checked everything and there was nothing wrong.
    No problems at all fro the rest of the week.

6. championi

championi Member

Maybe it's like the beach ball you get on a Mac for no reason!

7. Vegas

Vegas Member

Ray, any chance you could bring a supercharger home so we have one in Brisbane? People seem to be able to remove ATMs with four-wheel drives and a towrope with annoying regularity - perhaps you could do the same with a supercharger.

8. Brian May

Brian May Member

What would that do to your Tesla warranty? "My Tesla broke when I was using it to try and steal a Supercharger; obviously a manufacturing defect, can you fix it please?"

• Like x 1
  9. strykeroz

strykeroz Member

I suspect it will be harder on the supercharger.

10. TesAus

TesAus Member

Warranty claim would be denied - you are using the car for commercial use!

• Like x 1
  11. Keiron

Keiron Member

Gudday Ray,
    I too had a hectic 2200+Km run from LA via Santa Barbara up to Fresno then onto Fremont( Factory tour) then onto to SF and then Santa Monica and back to LA then to San Diego and back to LA in 5 days mostly filled with work appointments. Road conditions were poor most of the trip- I can well understand why many Model S drivers in the states take 19" rims to get a bit of extra cushioning from the crappy road repaired surfaces.
    We did hit a supercharger that wasnt running at full stick ( approx 50% output) ( Atascadero ) but didnt concern us much it was still 100% full when we got back from lunch at the bar.
    I did discover the SF cops love to chase Model S drivers - gives them a red hot excuse to rip along. Turns out the cop wasnt pleased with my Aussie right hand turn in 4 turning lanes in the middle of nowhere.Luckily after using my standard defence--- Rrrr Gudday Mate How ya goinnnnnnn - in a deliberately long Australian drawl....I got the exact same response I got last time - Youre not from around these parts are you sir......... Net result No citations on this trip.!
    Your right on the speed thing- we were the slow guys at 85 MPH avr. on the <99> midland from Frenso to Manteca. Totally different attitude to AUS. I find it interesting they have considerably less deaths for population by either total population of miles traveled per death than Australia and their general road surface quality is way worse than ours.. Hmmmmmmm makes ya wonder?

12. raynewman

raynewman Member

Ya - the lack of fatalities surprised me too; 1 per 60M miles for the world, 1 per 90M miles for USA and 1 per 130M miles (there being only 1) for autopilot. It must be time for Oz to take a holiday from speed limit enforcing; I wouldn't be game to travel at US (cruise on 130kph) speeds on Oz roads (I'm pretty low on points now).