Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Interestingly I find regen braking one of my favorite things

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
something about not pushing the brake hardly and the feeling of saving energy feels really great. I was a coaster in my ICE...

A friend who’s only been driving their 3 for a couple of weeks said the exact same thing to me the other day. They really were enjoying hardly ever having to use the brake pedal.

We were out for dinner and they’d picked me up in their non-EV (which had just come out of service) and they also remarked what a pain it was to have to carry a car key, turn the vehicle on, off and manually lock it.

Reactions: APotatoGod
I had a recent test drive and I have to say that made the most impression on me. I recall thinking how cool the regen felt. I was lifting my foot too quickly based on my ICE driving and jerking the car. By mid ride I learned to feather it and it was awesome to just one pedal it down to 2 mph.

Tesla thinks that it is a good idea to use your manual brakes from time to time to keep them functioning properly. The regen takes you from cruising speed down to almost a stop, then you need to press on your brake to make the final stop.

Great comprimise as the brakes still get used enough to keep functioning and the regen does almost all the slowing. Gives you more electrons in the batteries and reduces brake wear to almost nothing.

Reactions: lklundin
Tesla thinks that it is a good idea to use your manual brakes from time to time to keep them functioning properly. The regen takes you from cruising speed down to almost a stop, then you need to press on your brake to make the final stop.

Great comprimise as the brakes still get used enough to keep functioning and the regen does almost all the slowing. Gives you more electrons in the batteries and reduces brake wear to almost nothing.
While folks with other EVs are enjoying true one pedal driving with no brake issues....no compromise.

Reactions: more863-also
Day of Delivery driving home...

Me to my wife: "How do you like the Model 3?"
Wife: "It sort of drives like an electric golf cart."
Me: "Electric golf cart?"
Wife: "Yeah. As soon as I let go of the pedal, it slows down a lot."
Me: "Oh. You're right." ...
Me: [5 seconds later] — Renamed Car to "Electric Golf Cart"

P.S. I'm a HUGE fan of basically a one-pedal vehicle.

How is regen driving down an incline? When I’m driving my ICE and going down a hill I take my foot off accelerator and coast. If I do that on M3, will it slow down with regen going down a hill?

It depends on how steep the incline is. There is a point where it will slow down with regen, but there are some steeper inclines where the M3 will either hold or speed up even with full regen (green bar all the way to the left on UI).

I really enjoy regen.. I wish one could get a more specific and accurate indicator of how much it is generating. (that grey line/green line indicator can't be accurate relative to actual output vs. input).

Only downside with regen is the more time I spend in the M3, the more at risk I am in my AMG ICE car driving into the back of the car in front of me.

Reactions: APotatoGod
That's what the Leaf's ePedal does. You only have to hot the brake when you stop fast. Also, when you hit the brake in the LEAF, it provides regenerative braking and only switched to the disks breaks when needed. (when ePedal isn't selected)
Yep. Good article regarding the Leaf's E-Pedal...yeah...they say "gas" a bunch...but one gets the point about TRUE one pedal driving: 2018 Nissan Leaf long-term update: One pedal (near) perfection

and....the Bolt has even MORE aggressive regen than the Leaf: Anxiously waiting an AWD review / videos

From Motor Trend:

screen-shot-2018-08-29-at-5-50-09-am-png.330051

From @Zoomit correcting Motor Trend's Bolt Charts:
fwMqe26.png

TQrhoDz.png

• Informative
Reactions: lklundin