Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Interface/Software Issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Having a few software-related issues today. The car location on the map is stuck at a spot from earlier today and doesn't move. It looks like the car is parked there when I'm driving so it doesn't recognize where I'm currently at. If It's like the GPS froze and doesn't recognize the car has moved. If I try to navigate it give directions from the spot it's stuck at. The screen also doesn't recognize any other cars on the road or any lines. It's like I'm driving in a giant open space with nothing else around. And to cap it all off, the backup camera is now black. I've done about 5 soft resets and nothing changes. Is my only option a hard reset? I'd hate to lose profiles, settings, lifetime w/h calculations, etc. Or is this potentially a hardware problem with the GPS module? I've seen a bunch of people with frozen screens, backup camera issues, but haven't seen anything exactly like this.

You could try shutting down the car - use the Safety and Security menu item - then sit in the car for 3-5 minutes without touching anything, until all the little sounds stop, then pressing on the brakes to restart things. But I've had your problem, once a while ago, and I think the usual thing is to just wait, it'll fix itself eventually, probably overnight.

You could try shutting down the car - use the Safety and Security menu item - then sit in the car for 3-5 minutes without touching anything, until all the little sounds stop, then pressing on the brakes to restart things. But I've had your problem, once a while ago, and I think the usual thing is to just wait, it'll fix itself eventually, probably overnight.

Yes, I tried turning it off from the menu, but it didn't work. It's been like this for two days now so I've given up hope that it will fix itself.

If the two finger salute (reset) hasn’t worked then just book ranger service and someone should setup remote diagnosis. GPS module or antenna-related issue would be my bet.

As one trick try turning off sentry mode before power off via UI and leave it for 10 mins. That might help it go to deeper sleep state unattended.

The only issue you haven’t mentioned is quality of AP. To use high resolution map data gps is required, so be more cautious if raining / poorly lit / etc.

Good luck

Last edited: