Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Interior acoustics... the good and bad...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Greetings all, just need to poll the community regarding the acoustic qualities and what I've learned in the past few months of ownership. I have a '22 M3P with less than 2000 miles, and as many of you know the 'premium' audio system sounds amazing. However, this comes with a disadvantage, at least from my point of view. How many of you have conversations with a significant other during a drive without the music on? Have you at all noticed that voice and tonal qualities during routine conversation are unusually loud and harsh? With that fully glassed domed interior and hard surfaces, and lack of a soft fabric headliner, it just feels that the conversations appear just plain louder than normal? As if you're having a discussion in a reverberation chamber. Maybe it's just me, but next time you're in a conventional auto without the full glass roof, compare the conversation volume and tone with that in the Tesla. Would appreciate 'hearing' about your experiences; apologize if someone brought this topic up before. Thanks for your comments in advance.

Last edited:
Since my other car is a 15 year old Volvo XC70 with over 180,000 miles on it and a rattle in the moonroof I much prefer a conversation in my M3 instead. But seriously, I have no complaints whatsoever about the tonal quality of conversations in my M3 as compared to any other car. But I'm also one of those people who don't prefer vinyl LP's to CD's either.

Reactions: mm9351
Don't notice a difference in tonal quality, other than the fact that my wife normally talks loud and I'm at the age (65) where my hearing is probably not as good as it once was (too many Grateful Dead concerts in my youth). Comparison being with my wife's Honda Ridgeline which is pretty quiet. Some of the echoing that comes from the glass roof may be attenuated in my case because I have a Tesla-sourced front roof sunshade installed.

Have you at all noticed that voice and tonal qualities during routine conversation are unusually loud and harsh?
Yes, have very much noticed this, especially with four people and two conversations going on. Interestingly, I had a similar experience in a friend’s (non-Tesla) SUV with an exposed glass roof (roof shade retracted) and noticed none of the harshness but some of the loudness. I’ve also noticed that hearing aids potentiate the issue even with their noise-filtering and -canceling abilities. And your post has me searching for a made-to-fit sun shade with acoustic absorption. Love to try that if I find one.

They have a host of fabrics that can deal with this.
Maybe try a shop that deals in this kind of stuff.
Egg cartons placed around may help on the cheap.
Back in the 60's dingle balls were all the rage in CA. Usually a strip around the window opening, but I saw one car that the entire headliner was row after row of dingle balls! They swayed with the lumpy idle of a big cam! Would have made me seasick to ride in it! But acoustically no sound reflection!
1660496058332.png

Greetings all, just need to poll the community regarding the acoustic qualities and what I've learned in the past few months of ownership. I have a '22 M3P with less than 2000 miles, and as many of you know the 'premium' audio system sounds amazing. However, this comes with a disadvantage, at least from my point of view. How many of you have conversations with a significant other during a drive without the music on? Have you at all noticed that voice and tonal qualities during routine conversation are unusually loud and harsh? With that fully glassed domed interior and hard surfaces, and lack of a soft fabric headliner, it just feels that the conversations appear just plain louder than normal? As if you're having a discussion in a reverberation chamber. Maybe it's just me, but next time you're in a conventional auto without the full glass roof, compare the conversation volume and tone with that in the Tesla. Would appreciate 'hearing' about your experiences; apologize if someone brought this topic up before. Thanks for your comments in advance.
The usual solution to loud and harsh spoken acoustics is to speak softer, and be more polite. If that doesn't work, then I'm sure you could find a fabric headliner to absorb some of the sound.

Reactions: mm9351 and one2many