Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

interior cabin temp rising while car is off

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good day everyone,

I picked up a MYP approx 1 week ago . I have been noticing that when I checked the interior cabin temp at night via tesla app, I sometimes see the temp rising on its own.
There are no heating elements that show in a "on " state in the app.

I have no scheduling/ departure enabled.
Not charging.
outside temps for the past week, 20-30F during night time.

I called tesla rep and they said it's the battery warming itself due to the cold outside temps. Can anyone confirm if this is normal expected behavior?

tyvm!

here's what it looks like right now.
car is charging .45f outside temp..interior 85+ degrees. went outside and opened the door to let temp fall down to match outside temp, then close door and the temp starts to rise again

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220221-110827_Tesla.jpg
    Screenshot_20220221-110827_Tesla.jpg
    150.3 KB · Views: 507
  • Informative
Reactions: jsmay311
The battery is not warming itself. It might if you are actively charging.

The computers do burn a few watts. And burn more watts if you have Sentry mode on. If it’s in a garage or not extremely cold out it can warm up with just a few watts.

The more you poke at it the warmer it will get too.

If customers keep calling service for this sort of stuff they are gonna get rid of it. Mark my word.

hey mswlogo, thanks for the reply. It's not garaged. Its parked outside and temps drop to the low 20s F. Inside temp will rise to 50+ from what I have seen. Sentry mode is ON. I turned off sentry mode to see if that will make a difference.

Is your screen grab at 1108 in the morning or at night? I'll assume morning based on your posting time. 50 degree interior temperature at 1108 on a sunny morning with an outside 20 degrees or even lower is expected. Now, if it's 50 degrees at 5am in the morning when outside is 20, that's a different story.

There is no way that just opening the Tesla app, waking up the Tesla Model Y will cause the cabin temperature to reach 85F when the outside air temperature is between 20F and 30F. Even during the day in direct sunlight the cabin temperature wouldn't rise that high, certainly not at night.

When charging, if the battery pack gets too warm the coolant can be routed from the battery to the radiator before being sent back into the battery.

Try resetting the Tesla computer by pressing, holding the left and right scroll wheels.

sorry for the confusion. the screen grab was from just a couple of moments ago.
11:08 AM
interior - 85F
exterior - 46F
car is charging and the sun is directly hitting the car

when i see the issue during the night
not charging, left outside
outside temp - 20F
interior - 50F +

• Informative
interior - 85F
exterior - 46F

outside temp - 20F
interior - 50F +
If the Tesla vehicle is parked with Sentry mode active the camera heaters may turn on if the outside air temperature is below 32F. That together with some heating effect from the previously warmed battery could account for the passenger cabin temperature in the 50s. Does the cabin temperature remain above 50F long after you have parked.

When I park, charge in 30F temperatures the cabin temperature will drop into the mid 30s after 1 hour. Sentry mode is on.

Reactions: davidlee
interior - 85F
exterior - 46F

outside temp - 20F
interior - 50F +
Direct sun through the windshield can easily raise the internal temperature to 85°F. I get that often and higher depending on the direction I park my car even in CA winter.

Reactions: davidlee
If the Tesla vehicle is parked with Sentry mode active the camera heaters may turn on if the outside air temperature is below 32F. That together with some heating effect from the previously warmed battery could account for the passenger cabin temperature in the 50s. Does the cabin temperature remain above 50F long after you have parked.

When I park, charge in 30F temperatures the cabin temperature will drop into the mid 30s after 1 hour. Sentry mode is on.
jcanoe, from what ive noticed is that the temp will rise to 50s then drop down and then this cycle will eventually repeat. I am not sure how many times this cycle repeats as ive not kept any logs and only really started paying attention to this since yesterday.

i did try resetting the computer last night.

Actually had the same experience. Went to dinner at my uncles and had some meat in the car. It was -3c outside so I left the windows open for 20 minutes to cool the car when we went inside. I checked the cabin temp about 30 minutes later and it was about +4 c. Another 30 minutes and I check again and it is now 10c and stayed that way for the rest of the night. I think it is a sensor error because when I went and checked, the car didn’t feel that much warmer than the outside air.

Actually had the same experience. Went to dinner at my uncles and had some meat in the car. It was -3c outside so I left the windows open for 20 minutes to cool the car when we went inside. I checked the cabin temp about 30 minutes later and it was about +4 c. Another 30 minutes and I check again and it is now 10c and stayed that way for the rest of the night. I think it is a sensor error because when I went and checked, the car didn’t feel that much warmer than the outside air.

Interesting observation.

Maybe this calls for a test with a stand-alone thermometer placed inside the cabin to compare what the car is reporting vs actual cabin temps?

Last edited:
Maybe this calls for a test with a stand-alone thermometer placed inside the cabin to compare what the car is reporting vs actual cabin temps?
yes,,, there is some disconnect between app reading and actual reading.. my app interior reading was 95F, exterior 50s. i went to open the doors and the temp did not drop in the app for a long time, dont recall how long it took for the app to reflect the new temp but had to be at least 30min.

• Informative
Adding myself to this odd issue as well.

I'm currently trialling the Tessie app. When reviewing my L1 charging stats overnight I'm seeing periodic spikes in interior temps. My only guess is perhaps the car is conditioning the interior to keep the sentry cameras clear. I'll test again tonight with sentry off and report back.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220306-083112.jpg
    Screenshot_20220306-083112.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 264
I am having this same issue.
In celcius it’s 10 celcius outside and it’s increasing to 28 celcius in the car. Last week it triggered the Overheat protection. The bizarre thing is that it never does this at my house when it’s plugged in. It only does it at my wife’s work. I have an appointment next week scheduled with Tesla but don’t want to wait that long

I am having this same issue.
In celcius it’s 10 celcius outside and it’s increasing to 28 celcius in the car. Last week it triggered the Overheat protection. The bizarre thing is that it never does this at my house when it’s plugged in. It only does it at my wife’s work. I have an appointment next week scheduled with Tesla but don’t want to wait that long
Do update as we have similar issue

I don't think anyone mentioned this, but when the HVAC is running in the car while it's parked, you can see that in the app - it shows the heater or cooled air flowing from the vents. So you should be able to tell if the car is being warmed/cooled by the HVAC. If you don't see that then I would say it is probably just warmed by the sun. There's a lot of glass in the greenhouse, even if much of it is tinted.

I got it back today and they replaced the humidity and temperature sensor. The report states they replicated it and replaced it.
I do agree the temp will increase with the sun. I believe the sensor is located in the windscreen where the internal camera is. I measured today the interior temp on the seat with a temp sensor compared to the reading from the app and there was more than a 10 degree temp difference. However it did go down after while during changes in the sun which is normal.

The issue I was having was it was triggering the cabin temperature warning and turning on the AC when it was snowing outside ! I can’t test if this still happens as it’s too warm now but I’ll keep an eye to see if the issue arises.

If it’s because of the placement in the design then I don’t understand why others wouldn’t have the same issue as me.

Anyway to answer the other question, the hvac was not on when the temp was rising except when it rose enough to kick in the interior protection feature that I had set.
They told me that the sensor was giving erroneous data so hopefully this is the end of this problem.

I got it back today and they replaced the humidity and temperature sensor. The report states they replicated it and replaced it.
I do agree the temp will increase with the sun. I believe the sensor is located in the windscreen where the internal camera is. I measured today the interior temp on the seat with a temp sensor compared to the reading from the app and there was more than a 10 degree temp difference. However it did go down after while during changes in the sun which is normal.

The issue I was having was it was triggering the cabin temperature warning and turning on the AC when it was snowing outside ! I can’t test if this still happens as it’s too warm now but I’ll keep an eye to see if the issue arises.

If it’s because of the placement in the design then I don’t understand why others wouldn’t have the same issue as me.

Anyway to answer the other question, the hvac was not on when the temp was rising except when it rose enough to kick in the interior protection feature that I had set.
They told me that the sensor was giving erroneous data so hopefully this is the end of this problem.
Please let us know if that does the trick. In my 2020 LR MY, this past winter I often drove 6 miles to work with outside temp around 35 degrees. When I would check my app at lunchtime, outside temp would be around 45 and inside temp around 85 on sunny days. This would happen episodically, and I did not have the climate controls on from the app. It remains a mystery to me also.