Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Interior Camera Footage?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was reading a story earlier about someone locally who got pulled over and cited for allegedly using their mobile phone while driving (a big no-no here in the OC now). They swear up and down that they weren’t using their device but the police officer didn’t back down and of course there’s very little chance of their ever winning in court in a “your word against theirs” situation against the popo.

This got me thinking that it’d be VERY helpful to be able to access the interior camera footage from any similar incident (traffic stop) and the several minutes prior in order to prove my innocence if I ever got hit with a similar charge (could simply present the footage in court and voila!). It seems ridiculous and duplicitous to run out and buy an aftermarket, continuous-loop dash cam when my Tesla already HAS ONE. If only Tesla would allow people to access to it and its footage... This is a potentially very useful and legitimate use of that data.

Anyone know if they (Tesla) has ever allowed it (or has been able to get it by subpoena?) I suspect I ncidents like this are only going to become more and more common as municipalities get more and more cash-strapped and look for new revenue streams. For one, I want to protect myself against any false accusations and “incontestable” situations. Sure I suppose someone could always subpoena the police dash cam and / or officer’s body cam footage but it’d be nice to be able to know I have my own, never “losable” or “accidentally deleted” source of footage based on existing tools / tech rather than having to duplicate what’s already there.

Thoughts / suggestions?

Reactions: pipp
(moderator note)

Please keep any and all comments on this post to the "can get the footage from the dashcam" topic. Any discussion on the "why" mentioned will be removed. I am preemptively putting this here as a warning to not discuss police stops, subpoenas etc etc.

Reactions: Lindenwood