Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Interior Camera in Model 3 Rear View Mirror

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looks like GM is another company that thinks you need to have added facial input (albeit by infrared lights in their case).

GM Supercruise CT6 Sedan with Super Cruise | Cadillac

The second is a state-of-the-art driver attention system powered by facial recognition software, which uses infrared lights to track head position to monitor driver’s attentiveness. Super Cruise is unlike any other driver assistance system.
Proprietary head tracking software helps makes sure your eyes are on the road, and if not, visual alerts signal you to grab the wheel, followed by seat vibrations, if needed. If driver does not respond, hazard lights are activated before the vehicle comes to a controlled stop.

Looks like GM is another company that thinks you need to have added facial input (albeit by infrared lights in their case).

GM Supercruise CT6 Sedan with Super Cruise | Cadillac

The Tesla camera would likely be infrared too if it is going to be used as part of the AP system otherwise it will be very difficult for it to work properly at night.

The Tesla camera would likely be infrared too if it is going to be used as part of the AP system otherwise it will be very difficult for it to work properly at night.

All they need to do is leave off the infrared filter. CMOS is infrared sensitive.

Its unlikely GM uses infrared "lights". The reporter simply doesn't understand the technology. Humans emit infrared.

All they need to do is leave off the infrared filter. CMOS is infrared sensitive.

Its unlikely GM uses infrared "lights". The reporter simply doesn't understand the technology. Humans emit infrared.

No, I get that. The interior screen, even if very dimmed would possibly put out enough light for the camera to see the driver as long as it was infrared sensitive.

They don't necessarily need IR emitters, but from all of the security cameras I have installed, nothing beats active IR emitters coupled with a highly sensitive camera that has no IR filter.

• Informative
Reactions: SageBrush
(slightly tangent)
Tesla has for some time now, and increasingly so, been in a position to be a leader in data privacy.

The more services they provide to improve your safety and transportation, the more the algorithms will need to "understand" what you're doing, why, and how to influence it. This means more measurement, interpretation, etc of data generated by you in the physical world, which can get really intimate pretty fast.

I hope they take an Apple-esque route over a Google-ish route (making a broad generalization based how they brand and architect their approaches) - specifically:

- Raw data stays with client as much as possible, is protected as much as possible by strong authentication and encryption all the way down to a hardware-backed key store in cars and apps. (they can still store terabytes for future analysis, training, simulation and validation, but "in the car" (... putting that TFlop in the glove box to good use while car is parked, for example)

- Only derivative, differentially anonymized data or 'data products' leave the personal privacy realm to contribute to more centralized databases, machine learning, training and validation, etc

- Legal protection and advocacy for its users' rights to data privacy

- Clear terms of use including the rights Tesla assumes for sharing, licensing, crosslinking, and purpose of use of the data,

- Opt outs, identity resets, partial anonymity etc for data used for third parties, ads, or ancillary services.

But the level of 'learning' and even tiny customizations that the car can learn from you by even starting to analyze this data is important, especially in the 'uncanny valley' of L3 and L4 automation, if they ever decide to explicitly test those waters eg:
- What sort of ding ding ding will make you look up faster?
- How much lag do you have between a ding and looking up and focusing on the source of the alarm?
- How does things like speaking with passengers , being on phone etc affect these?

possibly monitoring the drivers head position and gaze to assure attentiveness when using autopilot?
hope not ... my eyes do tend to glaze over while my wife is speaking at me ......
hasn't anyone else ever said, "dear, I'm having trouble sleeping - Can you please keep talking ?
that said, if driving a M3, i WILL be wearing sunglasses and a neck brace .....
;)

Last edited:
Why is this in an “affordable” car?

Why not? If Tesla is planning to use the camera to improve autopilot or to monitor passengers using the car for ride sharing, it will good features to have, regardless of what type of car it is. Tesla has never been shy about putting the best in their cars. Just because the 3 is an entry level car, does not change that.

This is not new technology. My 2008 Lexus LS600hL had an IR camera mounted just above the steering wheel facing the driver as part of their pre-collision driver monitoring system.
Additional explanation and details on its usage in the Lexus.

2008 Lexus LS 600H L Review @ Top Speed
Lexus engineers have also developed an Advanced Pre-Collision System (APCS). It is the world’s first system designed to help detect pedestrians in the vehicle’s path. APCS, with two small cameras mounted at the front of the car that work in conjunction with millimeter-wave radar, is sensitive enough to detect certain nonmetallic objects.

As part of APCS the LS also offers the world’s first Driver Monitor System. A third camera, mounted on the steering column, monitors the orientation of the driver’s face. If the camera detects that it appears the driver is not looking directly ahead for a few seconds or more, and if an obstacle is detected ahead, then it alerts the driver first with a warning chime and a flashing light. As the car gets closer to the obstacle, APCS can begin to gently apply the brakes on its own. To assist the driver in maneuvering around the obstacle, the system reprograms the steering ratio, amplifying the intensity and quickness of the steering response.

While all of this is happening, the system automatically retracts the front seatbelts and prepares the brake system to respond with full force when activated by the driver in anticipation of a possible impact.