Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Interior camera & steering wheel nag

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We previously had to agree to have internal camera enabled for testing, doesn't sound much different with the release feature tbh, I'm not sure why people want to cover the camera when the camera data does not leave the car unless you have enabled data sharing so no need to cover.
1622325522482.png

If you do disable the camera monitoring, you will be more reliant on the steering wheel detecting you holding the wheel properly so will be at the mercy of the nags. By doing things visually, I suspect the nags will be a thing of the past (almost certainly will be the case if it passes future Level 3 legislation) if the visuals pick up your presence in a way that can satisfy driver alertness. imho, correctly holding the steering wheel at the point of initiating an auto lane change seems to be a major factor in the success of the lane change.

Last edited:
We previously had to agree to have internal camera enabled for testing, doesn't sound much different with the release feature tbh, I'm not sure why people want to cover the camera when the camera data does not leave the car unless you have enabled data sharing so no need to cover.
View attachment 667688

If you do disable the camera monitoring, you will be more reliant on the steering wheel detecting you holding the wheel properly so will be at the mercy of the nags. By doing things visually, I suspect the nags will be a thing of the past (almost certainly will be the case if it passes future Level 3 legislation) if the visuals pick up your presence in a way that can satisfy driver alertness. imho, correctly holding the steering wheel at the point of initiating an auto lane change seems to be a major factor in the success of the lane change.
Presumably if you disable data leaving the car you will disable the operation of Tesla-fi and other monitoring apps? You would also reduce Tesla’s ability to improve performance based on the.experience of the fleet and to do remote fault diagnosis. I can’t see them offering the ability to selectively disable data sharing - eg they can have the external camera images but not the internal ones but I suppose it is possible.

I do wonder where this leaves Model S/X owners (like me), as the current fleet of those models does not have an internal camera.

Will Tesla have to fit one to enable hands-off driving features? And if so, who will pay for that?
Once you’re at level 4 it won’t really matter as the car is responsible, the driver can be asleep

level 2 (the current level) it matters and I suspect they’ll carry n with the steering wheel approach

Level 3 is the harder one as the driver needs to sufficiently alert to pick up the driving within 6-10 seconds. Being asleep is the biggest challenge I imagine.

I don’t personally buy the radar alone being responsible for phantom braking. All I’ve seen is musk saying the 4D processing should cure it and to me that means a shadow or other optical artefact under a bridge that’s detected in a single frame as a car by mistake won’t slam on the brakes as it will have seen it emerging in the frames before.

Well, phantom braking is a very Tesla thing.
I never experienced it in my previous VW cars which, if I’m not mistaken, use radar.

I’m believing less and less in what Musk says, the man is full of crap.
My M3 is actually pretty bloody good as it is already and I’m not actually that fussed about autonomous driving because I quite like doing the driving myself.

I’ll sit back and watch developments as and when they unfold.

Reactions: nickbatz and Drew57