Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Interior Camera.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Imagine if you were able to put black tape over the camera to defeat it. Yeah, that would be impressive technology indeed.

on a somewhat related note, I have had tons of laptops at my job turned to some of my direct reports with screen damage due to the users putting after market "webcam blocking" clips on them, forgetting they are there, then closing the laptop with that clip in there.

Even laptops that come with built in webcam covers, the users sometimes still do this. At least with tape, my team can clean it off, lol.

have some proof on that other than guessing because of how much torque you have to or dont have to put on the steering wheel?
I drive with a weight on the steering wheel. For the past 18 months my car has never said a peep about having to move the steering wheel until this update. It asked me to move the wheel when I looked at a burned out truck on the side of the road. It asked again on hte way home while I was searching for a podcast on the screen. How's that for a hunch?

• Disagree
Reactions: lUtriaNt
I drive with a weight on the steering wheel. For the past 18 months my car has never said a peep about having to move the steering wheel until this update. It asked me to move the wheel when I looked at a burned out truck on the side of the road. It asked again on hte way home while I was searching for a podcast on the screen. How's that for a hunch?

I think the torque sensor is a little less dumb now. They aren't looking for weight > X, they are looking for weight > X AND weight isn't constant. I bet you can add as much weight as you want to it, and it will still ask you to move the wheel once you've been on the road a few miles. It doesn't immediately happen, I think because its recording variations till its sure the weight is constant.

Nothing you just said is any proof in the slightest that the CAMERA is being used. Have any proof the camera is being used? "hunch" is no where near any proof that a camera (that isnt pointed at our eyes) is being used to monitor driver attention.

You made a statement that "it looks like the camera is being used in Update X" with nothing but your hunch because your weights on the wheel technique is not working like it used to. How about putting tape on the camera like i suggested and trying the exact same thing again?

it would be more likely that tesla changed the behavior of the wheel torque sensors to defeat products like "weights on the steering wheel" than they turned on a camera and are somehow integrating that.

Last edited:
Looks like interior camera is in use on 2020.44.10.1
err - its been active since 2020.24.6

is now the time to point out that there is an option in the settings that covers the use of the camera.

Unless of course the tinfoil hat brigade don't trust that - in which case now is the best time to point out they chose the wrong car :D

Last edited:
Hong Kong and/or China is not the same as the US.

of course, we didn't know that until the first renewal notice received. Owners who drive 12,000miles or more in a year will have to pay extra premium, the most we heard is double the standard rate. It hits a lot of uBer drivers as some vehicles were driven 30-50,000miles a year.

Never happened in other brands in Hong Kong, just Tesla. We have privacy ordinances, for sure Tesla Legal Department have to deal with it before recording with the camera