Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Interior comfort tips for long road trips (question)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure if this is the proper section of the forum for this, so correct me if I'm wrong please!! (new here..)

Basically I'll be flying 900 miles from Florida to Raleigh, North Carolina to take delivery of my Model S 75 w/ premium leather interior and AP2. I'll be driving back to Florida, then up to New York at the end of December.

I have used a referral code already, thank you!

With so many highway miles ahead, what are your best tips from personal experience or that you've heard from others? Ranging from general driving, to SC use, to comfort, ANYTHING that might help me out is appreciated.

How comfortable on the seats for long trips? I'll be making frequent stops (every 2-3 hours) for charging.

Thanks!

We have some little neck pillows that we keep in the car. They are handy for neck support if you lean the seats back. We also use them for extra lumbar if need be. On most trips we use autopilot for as much time as humanly possible.

This may seem like a ridiculous question, but what do you find the best results with autopilot to be? In terms of speed, lane, range, etc.
Just keep it at 70-75 in the middle lane? Ever have any issues with AP? Anything I should keep an eye out for? Thanks!

This may seem like a ridiculous question, but what do you find the best results with autopilot to be? In terms of speed, lane, range, etc.
Just keep it at 70-75 in the middle lane? Ever have any issues with AP? Anything I should keep an eye out for? Thanks!
I just hang our in the right or middle lane at just at or above the speed limit. Under 70 will net the best range and personally I like to keep the distance at 7 just so I don't get rock chips. You may find that with AP on, you will end up not going as fast simply because the car will pace the vehicle in front of you so well. Watch for exit that don't have dashed lines, if you are in the outside lane, it's possible that the car could follow the exit.

I just hang our in the right or middle lane at just at or above the speed limit. Under 70 will net the best range and personally I like to keep the distance at 7 just so I don't get rock chips. You may find that with AP on, you will end up not going as fast simply because the car will pace the vehicle in front of you so well. Watch for exit that don't have dashed lines, if you are in the outside lane, it's possible that the car could follow the exit.

Thank you, I didn't think about putting it at 7 to decrease the likelihood of rock chips. I was going to tape up the front of the car with painters tape, a trick someone I know just used when picking up his Type R from Georgia. Still up in the air with taping it, but that's another topic. I'll stick to the center lane I guess, to avoid accidentally driving off an exit. I'm going to pay attention to what's around for sure, but it'll be nice to focus less on the mundane aspects of driving. I found when I was driving my friends MX with AP on I was much more comfortable cruising at 70 and not getting antsy (and I have a LEAD foot + live in Florida where at times the average speed can approach 100). Interestingly in Florida everyone drives well under the speed limit or way above.

Also, I noticed you are in Greenville. That will be my second supercharger stop on the return from pickup (after Charolette). Any tips for me on that front? I'll be there for around 30 minutes to an hour, depending on how I end up planning the trip.

Thank you, I didn't think about putting it at 7 to decrease the likelihood of rock chips. I was going to tape up the front of the car with painters tape, a trick someone I know just used when picking up his Type R from Georgia. Still up in the air with taping it, but that's another topic. I'll stick to the center lane I guess, to avoid accidentally driving off an exit. I'm going to pay attention to what's around for sure, but it'll be nice to focus less on the mundane aspects of driving. I found when I was driving my friends MX with AP on I was much more comfortable cruising at 70 and not getting antsy (and I have a LEAD foot + live in Florida where at times the average speed can approach 100). Interestingly in Florida everyone drives well under the speed limit or way above.

Also, I noticed you are in Greenville. That will be my second supercharger stop on the return from pickup (after Charolette). Any tips for me on that front? I'll be there for around 30 minutes to an hour, depending on how I end up planning the trip.
xpel tracwrap (http://www.xpel.com/xpel-tracwrap-temporary-ppf/) is a much better choice over painters tape. I used it when I brought mine home from Charlotte to Greenville before I got the front end wrapped. Watch for speed traps closer to the NC/SC line on I-85 and if you are a fan of waze, one of the waze sites for Tesla like Waze for Tesla Incidents and Supercharger Traffic is handy to have going on the browser.