TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Interior design finalized

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by fairlycool, Dec 24, 2011.

1. fairlycool

fairlycool Member

Now that it seems like the interior design has been finalized and is going to look like the Beta, how do you guys still feel about it? I personally liked the look of the Alpha better but was wondering if people over the past couple of months have come to like the interior of the Beta and are ok with it now going into production. Me personally, I'm still not sold on it. I like the interior of the new 2012 BMW 3 series or the Audi A7 much better (cars in the same price range as the Model S).

2. Robert.Boston

Robert.Boston Model S VIN P01536

I want to see pictures before I make any judgments -- I gather that there were some changes in the Beta at Santana Row from earlier Betas.

3. fairlycool

fairlycool Member

Really? Any idea what they changed? I'd love to see pictures of any changes as well. I'm secretly hoping they refined it a bit more.

4. ljbad4life

ljbad4life Member

When did the interior get finalized? It's not up in the gallery or in the design studio... was there a press release or a post on their blog I'm not seeing?

5. Robert.Boston

Robert.Boston Model S VIN P01536

There was a post on one of the boards saying that they'd added a divider with storage between the front seats. Apparently not many other changes, though "changes from what" is an open question, since the Fremont betas weren't all the same.

6. Todd Burch

Todd Burch Electron Pilot

Yep...I hear at least some changes have been made, and I suspect we won't know what the interior will really look like for a little bit longer.

7. fairlycool

fairlycool Member

#7 fairlycool, Dec 24, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2011
    The customer rep I spoke to said the Beta interior was "very close" to what the production will be like. No drastic changes are planned from it.
    Though it is interesting that on the site itself (teslamotors.com) they have stopped showing pictures of the interior in the Gallery or on the options page.

8. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

I too was confused as to when it was announced that the interior was final. I can live with the fact that the exterior is very nice, but not amazing, but if I have to stare at a bland interior day in and day out, that's another thing. It probably wouldn't stop me from getting a Model S after all this time, but it could certainly stop me from looking at future models.

9. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

I don't think the thread title is correct. My evidence...

Model S Pricing Reactions | Forums | Tesla Motors

10. Mycroft

Mycroft Life happens

I don't think the interior has been finalized to be nearly the same as the beta. The "divider" between the front seats has always been there on the floor.

That said, after sitting in the beta again this morning, I have no problem with the way it's designed now. I would like door pockets and a better console/armrest between the seats, but we'll see what they come up with.

11. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

Was the floor divider there during the October event? It may have been, I just don't remember seeing it.

12. Mycroft

Mycroft Life happens

Yes, there were pictures that showed it. Things happened pretty fast at the event. It was too bad they weren't able to have a beta set to the side that people could take their time looking over.

13. tdelta1000

tdelta1000 Active Member

I would like to see before going any further with comments.

14. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

Err., I think you meant on the concept car. The Alphas didn't really have a complete interior.

15. mikennamorato

mikennamorato Member

I am not the biggest fan of the model S interior.

16. mikennamorato

mikennamorato Member

It can't even compare to bmw 5 series interior.If they would improve the interior it would be the Bomb.

17. tomanik

tomanik Member

Tesla tweaked the exterior between the alpha and beta, I am still holding out hope that we will see the same yhing occur between the beta and production. Some tweaks to the seats, dealing with the center console/bottom of the screen/arm rest and trim appointment, would narrow the gap.

18. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

Ditto, that's a semi-major thing for me. I can stand the lack of some features, but I need to feel happy in the cabin!

19. haneefdm

haneefdm Member

Ditto. It is a car I intend to keep for 10 years or more and if I give up comfort and ergonomics, that would be a terrible sacrifice.

20. smorgasbord

smorgasbord Active Member

Interior differences

The Model S will have Microfiber or the Nappa Leather, with synthetics on the door panels and dash.
    The Signature cars will have perforated leather with real leather on the door panels and dash.

The Performance models (non-Sig & Sig) will have Alcantara bolsters and contrast piping (not perforated). They are intended to hold the driver in the seat during spirited driving.
    The Signature-Performance will have the Performance seats, but will retain the Signature real leather on the door panels and dash.

Scuttlebutt is that the differences between the non-Sig and Sig interiors will be very noticeable, but I haven't spoken with anyone who's actually seen them both firsthand.