TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Interior dome lights not turning on when unlocking

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by liuping, Jan 28, 2014.

1. liuping

liuping Active Member

I noticed sometimes the interior dome lights come one when the door handles present (either by walking up, or with double clicking the fob) and sometimes they don't.

They always seem to come on if I unlock the car via the phone app.

Does anyone else have this issue, or should I have service take a look?

2. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

Check the settings for "dome". Sometimes they change after an update.

3. liuping

liuping Active Member

It is set to "Auto", and they do come one when I open the door, so at least it's partially working.

Just to be sure, turned the auto mode off and on again, which did not change the behavior. Then I did the crazy turn it off, reboot, turn it on reboot trick that seemed to help some settings that got stuck after updates. But still most of the time the lights stay off until I actually open the door.

4. JerryNycom

JerryNycom Member

Funny mine do the same thing.....Sometimes when I approach NO LIGHTS, and other times yes.....Very strange.....I have to try the FOB now and see.....

5. liuping

liuping Active Member

If the fob does not work, try the phone app. That seems to the only way to get it work 100% of the time for me.

6. darthvdr

darthvdr Member

That is odd. I do not believe ours ever turned on just by walking up to it. Only when the door is opened that the dome turns on. We are still on 5.6

7. AmpedRealtor

AmpedRealtor Active Member

My interior lights turn on when I walk up to the car and the handles auto present. I am on 5.8.4. I have the tech package and my P85 included the lighting package. Perhaps it's a loose connection?

8. liuping

liuping Active Member

It might be, but it always seems to turn on when the door is actually opened.

I thought it might be sleep related, but it behaves similarly when I wake it before going out to the car.

It strange because I have walked up to the car, and it presented handles, but no dome lights. Then if I lock it and then unlock it with the fob, the handles present and the dome comes on.

I have also unlocked it with the fob, and the handles come out, but no dome light. Then lock it with the fob, and walk up and it presents the handles and dome comes one.

I've had nearly every combination work or not.

They installed 5.8.7 today at the service center (to possibly help with my charge door not opening consistently), so I'll try again tonight and see if it's consistent.

9. mjtgroup

mjtgroup Member

Same problem for me but also includes exterior lighting that normally comes on when unlocking the car. Worked fine until 2 weeks ago. Now works sometimes and does not work sometimes. Took my car into service (great team in Bellevue) but was not able to fix. Waiting on Engineering to determine problem and come up with a solution. It is annoying . . .

10. AmpedRealtor

AmpedRealtor Active Member

My car was sleeping all night, I just walked up to it... Lo and behold, door handles present but no interior dome lights until I open the door. Car was not sleeping when I tried this yesterday, so appears to be sleep related. I wonder if this behavior is intentional?

11. liuping

liuping Active Member

I thought that initially, but I've woken up the car via the phone app before approaching, and it did not light up. Maybe it's not fully awake when accessed by phone.

12. richardgrenier

richardgrenier New Member

I have tried everything suggested in this thread that "seemed" to work, and have not found one protocol that actually "stays" working (i.e., dome lights on when auto-present). Not sure if this may be relevant, but I think this may have been working properly (100%) before I changed the battery in both of my FOBs.

13. liuping

liuping Active Member

Since getting 5.9 I have no longer seen this issue.

Even when approaching the car when it's in deep sleep, the dome light come on when the handles are presented every time now.

14. gbdesai

gbdesai Member

I had that happen and had to manually change to off or on and then back to auto...